Please, help! Is my Albino Cory sick?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kalabreeze

AC Members
Sep 11, 2008
USA
Cory died:( Two other cories are letargic and acting like if they wanted to shake something off when they swim. I red all day about all imaginable fish deseases, and now it seems to me that they are covered with "cold dust" aka velvet? Maybe I am just paniking and getting paranoid. Will try to post pictures tonight.
Thanks for all your replies:)

kalabreeze

AC Members
Sep 11, 2008
USA
What should I do about 2 other cories, I looked at the pictures that I took when I brought cories home, they have same coloring, probably not velvet. What could it be? They are not as active as they used to be, one is rubbing against gravel and decorations. Could it be ich? I want to save these two if possible.

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
True fungus is rarely seen in the aquarium, and is almost always associated with the presence of a preceeding disease or wound. For reference, please see these photos and post a photo of your fish for us to see. All photos from JBL Hospital online:

This is ich:

This is Velvet (oodinium):

This is classic fungus:

This is columnaris, and I bet you're fighting either columnaris or another bacterial infection. Note how it can take on a stringy appearance in more advanced cases:

This is your standard bacterial infection:

Any similarities to what you're seeing?

Last edited:

jaylin

Don't ask if you don't want to know
Aug 14, 2005
Denver-ish Colorado.
That's a real nice series of diagnostic pictures. I wonder if that can get a sticky or be done up as a page that shows these pics and and tells how to treat.

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
That's a real nice series of diagnostic pictures. I wonder if that can get a sticky or be done up as a page that shows these pics and and tells how to treat.
If a mod gives me a go-ahead, I'd be happy to work on this as a sticky... the ID and treatment of diseases has been of great interest to me recently. We have great stickies for meds tc. but a photo galelry might be nice.

jaylin

Don't ask if you don't want to know
Aug 14, 2005
Denver-ish Colorado.
Oh yea, how much easier would it be for people to say "my fish looks like that one" than to try to get decent pics of their own fish. Photographing fish is ... an art form that majority of us suck at :D

kalabreeze

AC Members
Sep 11, 2008
USA
Thank you guys! DrVader thank you for the pictures, it lookslike my Cory had columnaris.
I thied to take pictures but all come out blurry:(
Here is the picture from 10 days ago. Cory that died is one on the top and it looks very white compate to healthy Cory. Maybe it is normal, I do not know, but white one developed columnaris and died. Picture was taken the day I brought Cory from Petsmart. It was probably sick already:huh:

Here are pictures from yesterday, probably useless because too blurry.

This morning in Hospital Tank

I moved Corys to hospital tank which they hate, interesting thing that they seem to do better even without any medicine. One cory was swimming fast and flicking, now it is not doing it anymore:huh:
What should I do, put tham back? leave them in hospital tank for a while? I got QuICK Qure, but I do not want to add toxic medication if I am not 100% sure.
Maybe they had flukes and they fell off when I put cories in fresh water? Please, do not laught..I am such a newbie:rolleyes:

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
just a headsup... there's no reason to isolate the healthy cories... the columnaris will affect all fish if caught, not just the corydoras.

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
Hey JR, is there reason for me to compile a gallery of diseases (ala previous post) for a Sticky? Focus would be on diesease ID only as opposed to treatment or appropriate meds as we already have some great Stickys for those. It would probably take me a while and would be broken up into known bacterial, fungal, viral, and parasitic sections...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store