Please help... Seriously worried...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

HappyLoner

AC Members
May 2, 2003
Cape Town, South Africa
Visit site
Hi All

Firstly, my details:

Level of Experience: Beginner with plenty theoretical knowledge, unfortunately read from various sites on the net, with many contradictory pieces of advice. So basically, Im not stupid, just misinformed. Hehe.

I have a 2 month old setup. Small tank - 25 litres of water.

2 Rams
5 Neons - 1 Died this morning
1 Angel (He/she killed the other Angel I also had)
1 Kissing Gourami
2 Male Dwarf Gouramis
3 Guppy Females - My Male died this morning
About 20 Guppy fry - One female popped last week in a trap, got them in breeding net at the moment.

Normal corner filter with air pump. Filter has charcoal and floss. About 1 inch of gravel with one live "potted plant" - ie not planted in gravel. Heater with temp set at 25-27 degrees celcius usually, but raised to 27-29 at the moment due to treatments as advised.

First thing all of you are going to say is that this tank is overpopulated. I know that, Only too late unfortunately. The pet shop where I bought everything from, should have warned me. They suggested every fish I have and had in this tank, and they sold me the tank! Needless to say, I already talked to them, explained why I was unhappy, and I do not support them anymore.

My problem is my current situation. I will be getting a 2nd tank very soon, just finances does not allow me getting it as in NOW. So I have to do the best I can with what I have.

About 3 days ago, the female guppy that gave birth last week, got bad fungus over her body - a whitish cottonish appearance. I immediately did a 20% water change and added Anti-Ick as it was all I had access to. The next day (yesterday) I got a bottle of AQUADENE Nr 3 "General Aid Special" and added that as per bottle instructions. (By the way, the bottle only states how much to add per gallon. They do not give any directions on what to do afterwards for example, water changes, treatment repeats etc. Please help here?).

This medication turned the water an UGLY green, but I suppose it should be like that, as it is green in color. The shop where I got the medicine (by the way, they also sell excellent fish there, breed themselves, and is a well-known Koi breeder in South Africa) said I should also add 1 gram of salt per litre of water. I got the salt from them and also did that. I previously had NO salt.

This morning, the guppy male was swimming upside down, and died a few hrs later. A neon tetra also died during the night.

The fungus on the female that was infected, is gone, however, look like "scars" still there. That must be a good sign??? I can also now see that her fins are damaged (wasnt sure before due to fungus), so could it be fin rot too? Will it grow back?

After removing the dead male (and earlier the dead neon) (BTW, I sorta grew attached to this male - I hated loosing him SO much), I did about a 40% water change, ensuring I add the same temp water than what is in the tank, replaced 40% salt, and added medication the the 40% new water to the amount prescribed for that amount of water.

They all look happy now. What next? Have I done enough?

Oh yeah. A uninformed friend, gave me two of these yellow-orangish-decoraitve but alive snails thingies for the tank. OK, snails, ugly things, but it was a gift and I couldnt get rid of them. I read that their presence might be dtremential to my tank? Should I keep them? Get rid of them?

Thanks guys!

HappyLoner

PS: Water PH is on 7 - I check it at least weekly. I also do about 20% water changes twice a week.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Well, aside from the overstocking, you have some territorial fish (gouramies) as well as fish from completely different water types (neons/guppies/angels/rams). The angel is a threat to yur neons, but will help control the guppy population. The gouramies will start fighting at some point in time--males don't share small spaces very well. If you can, return some of the fish you have--I'd return one male gouramie and the kissing gouramie--those things can get huge!

Once your confortable that the ailing guppy is better, I would quit using the salt--few of your fish will appreciate it, long term. If you have new carbon, it's pulling the medications out pretty quickly--ordinarily, I don't like to see salt and a medication used at the same time. In the future, don't use a medication that is not targetting the problem--just stresses the fish, and may mess with the biological filtration in your tank.

If you can, test your water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. If ammonia and nitrites are anything but 0, start doing daily water changes to bring them down. Ammonia and nitrites are toxic to fish, and are probably the reason you are seeing sickness in the fish. Daily testing and water changes as needed will bring the tank into balance and allow the bacteria to develop in enough quantity to deal with the waste. You may want to add another corner filter box--the more the merrier. This will also increase the oxygen levels in the tank, which will help the fish as well.

I would also reduce feedings to once every other day. The fish won't starve, and this will reduce the amount of waste produced. I wouldn't worry much about the snails right now. They are not the bane od aquariums, if controlled. You might want to let your friend know that you appreciate the gesture, but in the future a gift certificate would be better for your tank.

Welcome aboard!

HappyLoner

AC Members
May 2, 2003
Cape Town, South Africa
Visit site
Thanks girl!

Thanks for you reply.

Yes I agree, should get testing kit for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

I really *pi55e5* me off. This pet shop in particular I mean. I had a huge talk with them yesterday about all of this. Only reply: "Sorry sir".

I tried to return some of the fish yesterday after someone told me about the overstocking. Unfortunately, the pet shop knows about the sick fish. They dont want to take in any fish from an infected tank, which i can understand fully.

Im getting a bigger 2nd tank soon. Will them split the fish into PROPER gorups. (Suggestions will be great here - will be getting a 30-50 gallon (UK) tank.)

Attached is some pics of my tank and fish...

loner_angel.jpg

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Unfortunately, that can be a problem. LFS are not nearly as responsible or reliable as we'd like them to be.

I'd move everything but the guppies into the bigger tank. The guppies will be okay in a smaller setup, and you can keep this tank with a bit of salt (or just harder water) for them. Add some plants, and maybe 3 cories for the bottom, and it will be a nice setup.

For the larger tank, this will allow enough room for the gouramies to pick territories. The kissing gouramies will still get big-he might need to be moved at some point in time. The neons might still be picked off by the angel, once the angel matures. Neons are the natural food of angels in the wild. The rams will be happy in this tank as well, and should be able to pick their turf as well. Make sure to provide lots of caves and plants for everyone to kide in.

You could add more plants right now as well--they consume ammonia and nitrates, so will help with water quality. Floating plants, or quick growers like anachris would be best.

BluEyes

AC Members
Jan 5, 2003
Idaho
www.geocities.com
I'm suprised no-one has said this - ditch the air-driven filter! Get a hang-on powerfilter - whisper, marineland, penguin, aquaclear, etc. (IMHO, Aquaclear is the best)
Transferr the filter media from the air driven box to the powerfilter to get the nitrifying bacteria seeded. But, the power filter will give MUCH better water circulation, better filtration, etc...
oh, and keeping the water level up to the level of the top trim on the tank will give more volume of water, so waste products are more diluted.

HappyLoner

AC Members
May 2, 2003
Cape Town, South Africa
Visit site
UPDATE!

Hi Guys

Just feel that I have neglected u guys in updating what happened since the last post.

I lost another female guppy, the one that was worst infected

I then did the following:

Day1: Got a nitrite test kit. VERY expensive here. Nitrite level 0.4! Did 40% water change. Removed Carbon from filter (did not do that with initial medication - Thanks to my very informative LFS) and remedicated with PROPER medication. "Fungus Clear" By Tank Buddies.

Day2: Nitrite Level at 0.7! ALARMS! 40% water change! Added 50ml Bacteria (about 5 times the recommended dose on bottle, this was a breeders advice, and the bottle said its impossible to overdose).

Day3" Phew. FISH look HAPPY. Nitrite down to 0.2!

Now today is Day 4 and I will keep you posted as soon as Ive tested again tonight. Things are better and I think I learned a HELLUVA lots through all of this!

Thanks for your help!

hL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store