Please help with my Oscars

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

monsterfishlove

AC Members
Aug 20, 2012
Thank you very much for your help every one. i will buy some test kits and then figure out what needs to be done. i will update shortly with water conditions.

Last edited:

MissRedneck

Local drunk
Aug 3, 2012
In the sticks
Real Name
stubborn redneck hick
You said you are going to wait 6 or 7 months to get the bigger tank....I do think that is too long to wait. One of my oscars is only about 4 months and is almost 5 inches, you waiting that long is a worry that you might stunt them. Just a thought :)

monsterfishlove

AC Members
Aug 20, 2012
i have been trolling lots of diffrent places looking for a bigger tank already. I was just told yesterday how fast they grow. and since then i have been looking for a bigger tank.

my tank was tested and i bought a test kit for my water.

my water reads as follows, i was told i am re-cycling my tank over, and these look right for what happen to my tank.
my 45 gallon
ammonia 0
nitrite .5
nitrate 50
my 10 gallon
ammonia 0
nitrite .3
nitrate 25

monsterfishlove

AC Members
Aug 20, 2012
I have done 2, 30% water changes, doing them approximately 48 hours apart, on the 45 gallon. and a 50% water change on the 10 gallon. (i still dont have fish in the 10 gallon yet) adding Prime to each 5 gallon bucket of water i put in the tanks. will do another water test soon.

monsterfishlove

AC Members
Aug 20, 2012
40% water changes? more often? like every 36 hours?

the 10 gallon is cycling probably beacuse i put my oscars in it at one time, remember? when i emptied out my 45 gallon beacuse of the bologna. im sure that set off the cycle.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Ah, yes that could have started that...but I'm a little surprised it went through ammonia>>>nitrite>>>nitrate so quickly unless I have the timeline screwed up in my head.

Anyways, do what you can with the water changes but more is always better when dealing with measurable amounts of ammonia and/or nitrite.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store