Please identify these plants.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
Picked up some new plants from my LFS today. Can you please tell me what they are.

This one is the same as the big fake one I have. I liked it and never saw a real one until today. Just had to get it.

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
Hey NJD,
Nice plants!

I'm likewise not sure about the first plant, although it does look like some kind of crypt. Can't say for sure. Everything you ever wanted to know about crypts can be found here

I think the second is limnophilla sessiflora, which looks a lot like cabomba:
cabomba

limnophila (aka Ambulia)

Here's a site with some great line drawings to help you sort it out.

Edit: If it is Limnophila (and I'm pretty sure it is) you'll want to move it back and give each stem a little more room. The stuff is a weed! Mine grew several inches a week until it was decimated during a battle with algae. If the stems are too crowded the lower leaves will get too shaded and die off.

Last edited:

Starry

Occasionally sighted.
May 15, 2002
Brampton, Ont
carpguy - I have to disagree. Cabomba has more of a sheen, while Limnophila is kind of hard to describe, maybe more feathery, but definitely different. Sometimes hard to tell from pictures, but "live" it's easy to see. The pics below show the difference very clearly.

Cabomba caroliniana

Limnophila sessiliflora

Now, I have grown both Limnophila and Cabomba and I know that Limnophila can look very different under different conditions. Mine has "transformed" quite a few times from feathery like the above pic, to stringy, to somewhere in-between. I agree that it's a close call from the pic Devils Fan provided, but I'd still have to say it's Cabomba.

Last edited:

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
The first looks like a bog plant I have in my Paludarium. I did have one submerged once, and it soon rotted away. Allowed to grow out of the water it seems to do better.

The latter I say is Cabomba as well.

Robert H

Aspiring Guru
Carpguy is right... there are several varities of Cabomba, and three varities of Ambulia, Lymnophila. All you guys pics are accurate, just different sub species.

I also agree the first pic is not a true aquatic plant, but a bog plant that stores often sell as aquatic. Not really there fault, they don't know the difference.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Yes, that plant is definetly cabomba caroliniana...I have quite a bit of it growing in my 55; and it grows about a foot a week. Mine is dark green overall, with reddish/burgundy tops.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store