Pleco dietary needs...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iamsquatty

AC Members
Sep 4, 2006
huntsville, AL
i was carving up a pumpkin for halloween, and had some pumpkin flesh left over so i decided to see if my pleco would like it....

...trick or treat...he went crazy over it. haha!

WhitneyGail

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
I have been giving my albino bristlenose plec zuccini slices about once a week......

Exactly what other fruit and vegetables are good for them? Or rather....are there any that should be avoided?

ChileRelleno

500+ jumps-n-counting,SKYDIVE!
Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
ice jack said:
What about coconut shell? do plecs enjoy sucking on this?
Shell, no. Meat/Copra, yes.
WhitneyGail said:
I have been giving my albino bristlenose plec zuccini slices about once a week......

Exactly what other fruit and vegetables are good for them? Or rather....are there any that should be avoided?
They need to fed fruits/veggies on a daily basis.
The only veggies I've heard that are bad are potatoes/corn, supposedly they are undigestable. I do not know of any fruits that are off limits.
I suggest firm fleshy type fruits/veggies and etc..

Malefic23

AC Members
Nov 7, 2006
Charlotte NC
ChileRelleno said:
The only veggies I've heard that are bad are potatoes/corn, supposedly they are undigestable.

I've heard of quite a few folks using sweet potato, especially for royals. I use corn on the cob often for my commons, and they seem to have no trouble eating or digesting it. Both cloud the water, but don't seem to harm the fish. I've been feeding corn for well over 3 years, as a treat food or suppliment to the ever popular zuchini.

What's your source for corn being bad? They seem to like it, but I don't wish to give them something that will ultimately hurt them.

ChileRelleno

Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
Malefic23 said:
I've heard of quite a few folks using sweet potato, especially for royals. I use corn on the cob often for my commons, and they seem to have no trouble eating or digesting it. Both cloud the water, but don't seem to harm the fish. I've been feeding corn for well over 3 years, as a treat food or suppliment to the ever popular zuchini.

What's your source for corn being bad? They seem to like it, but I don't wish to give them something that will ultimately hurt them.
I don't have any specific sources per se, only something I've heard a few times around a few forums.
I can neither confirm nor deny as factual, hence my use of the words Heard and Supposedly.
I do not present it as fact.
I too had fed sweet potatoes to my SnowKing Pleco and he loved'em, I had fed shelled corn to my small tropicals and my Oscar, with no ill effects.
I stopped feeding these after hearing this even tho unsubstantiated, better safe then sorry.

ChileRelleno

Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
...........................................................................................................

Some of the members at www.monsterfishkeepers.com have contributed excellent replies to this article as posted/stickied there, http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42856
I have learned much from this site and their input is worth linking/crossposting. :D
...........................................................................................................

**StiffMeister** nice article. gives a good impression on why to feed veggies next to pellets. you wrote it in a nice way. i do want to comment on daily veggies. might be nic efor the fish but not for the tank. i usually feed veggies once or twice a week. water will go to hell if done more often and filters clog way faster. i also keep the veggies in the tank for a mere couple of hours. the fish dont mind as they will eat it straight away and it will deffo keep the water up.
..................................................................................................................................

**davo** lol, some plecos are lucky with algae wafers, and just get the scraps from other fish, and is there to eat algae. i dont tend to use pellets, and all my plecos get a massive range of foods and the ratio is changed for each pleco depending on its preference towards meaty foods, or vegetarian. You can feed them so many different vegetables- basically everything, and there is a wide variety of meats to eat. even the most herbivorous plecos should get meat, and you can see the difference just in their colours. the same goes for the need of a bit of veg for the carnivores. its important for the digestive tract- they need the roughage. The other thing is many plecos NEED bogwood- and its not just the panaques. its important as it is part of the teeth grinding, roughage intake and important lignin. its easy to tell the difference between a well fed pleco and one that isnt (not just looking at weight).
a few things- i dont see any need to blanch- thats just getting rid of nutrients for no reason- the plecs should easily be able to eat it as it is
- plecos dietry needs change as they age- not just in amount of foods but also the food type
-i dont consider these as supplementary feedings- these should be their diet. supplementary gives the impression its something to be added too.
otherwise good article

**WyldFya**To add to that, although in general plecs that start going after slime coat CAN be a sign of poor nutrition offered by the keeper, it isn't always a sign. Often if they acquire the taste, they will not stop going after it, and even can start hunting other fish. I have had three now that have become not only slime coat suckers, but also hunters. They were fed 1 market shrimp every other day. That still didn't stop them. It depends on the individual pleco.
..................................................................................................................................

**davo** Right this has been a long time coming to make the answer to "pleco feeding" as a sticky, and this thread had the best basis ChileRelleno

So to add to what has been said, here is some more info.
Bascially ALL plecos are OMNIVOROUS. Like every animal, plecos need a balanced diet.
However, it is important to look up your species to know the ratio of what to feed your pleco- carnivore:vegetarian. Carnivores need some vegetables in there diet, and vice versa.

The size/age of your pleco also has a massive bearing on what you should feed it. For example, hypostomus plecostomus as a juvenile, needs a lot of roughage in its diet, and leans more towards the vegetarian side of an omnivore. However, as it grows and reaches sub-adulthood more and more protein rich foods should be given.

Another, commonly looked over food source is bogwood. Natural softwoods make it easy for a pleco to gain lignin, which is a chemical compound found in cell walls etc. it doesnt degrade easily, but plecos still need a good supply as it helps keep their digestive tracts in order. they also gnaw their teeth down aswell as the wood fibres add to their roughage intake. It is absolutely essential to some pleco genus, such as panaques.

Feeding at night time, may be considered better as plecos are a nocturnal species, and are more active and look for food at night time. Hence, feeding just before lights out is a good thing, to let them feed in the dark.

Feeding plecos together: Think of the compatibility of your plecos, some species will easily out compete others for food, and hence some will starve as a result.

Here is a list of some suitable food sources for plecos:
*I have not including the many types of sinking pellets and flake food, because although a useful addition I dont believe them to be as useful as fresh or frozen foods such as those below and would never use them as a main diet, but merely supplement.

Meat/Protein based foods:-
Worms- bloodworms, blackworms, nightcrawlers etc (a side note, i've never had a young carnivorous plec refuse bloodworms)
Mysis
Beefheart
Prawn
Shellfish- mussels, cockles etc
Squid
Silversides
Spirulina
Brine Shrimp
Crustaceans
Other Insect Larvae
Fish Eggs
Krill
Daphnia
Chicken Liver

Vegetables (remember to wash all veggies of unwanted bugs and blanching veggetables isn't necessary- it takes away nutrients):-
Cucumber
Zucchini
Potatoes (I would soak these for a long time and wash thoroughly as they contain a lot of starch that is bad for water quality, although otherwise a great food source)
Sweet Potatoes
Shelled Peas
Broccoli
Carrots
Lettuces
Cabbage
Courgette
Yams
Parsnips
Squash
Suede
Spinach
Beans

Others:-
Melon
Bogwood
Mango
Apple
Kiwi
Rotting Leaves (or live)

Please add any feeding tips or techniques here to help squash the myth of "plecos eat algae".
Cheers

**WyldFya**Don't forget pumpkin! My plecs went NUTS over pumpkin.

**COL** Just for the record, there are only two genera of loricariidae that have been shown to eat wood for nutritional value (roughage can be obtained from other sources), those being the infamous panaque and two (and perhaps more) species of lasiancistrus. For some odd reason, the morphologically similar hypostomus-cochliodonts lack the necessary gut microbes to extract nutrients from wood with the efficacy of larger panaque, though they, along with several other hypostomini and pterygoplichthyini tribe fishes show limited capacity to digest woody substances. Also, lignin is more or less impossible to digest to any significant degree. Rather, it is the hemicellulose that is so vital to the panaque palette.

All in all, it really comes down to what kind of pleco you've got; there are as many different dietary niches in nature as there are species of loricariids. Just in ancistrini alone, you've got a plethora of different fishes with different dietary needs:

Ancistrus/chaetostoma/lasiancistrus, and to a lesser extent, pseudolithoxus/hopliancistrus/dekeyseria-periphytonic grazers inhabiting consistently shallower waters, where the natural awfuchs makeup is represented largely by algal growth and decaying vegetation. Thus, a diet rich in fiber and other vegetable products is preferred, although, as with other grazers, microrganisms are consumed in the process of grazing, thus, protein should be offered, though with some care.

Megalancistrus/leporacanthicus-these closely related genera are almost exclusively invertebrate-feeders, specializing in feeding on snails (leporacanthicus), small to medium sized crustaceans such as river prawns, predatory insect larvae, worms, etc, and sponges. In accordance, these fish prefer high protein, low fat fare; mollusks and crustacea commonly available in the fish markets (clams, shell on shrimp to wear down the teeth, and, to a lesser extent, white fish) are perfect. Both genera, as previously stated, feed heavily off of freshwater porifera, and thus, seem to be fairly attracted to, and may even need fiber to substitute the vast amounts of spongin ingested while feeding. This, perhaps, explains why these fish are relatively prone to bloat in comparison to other "carnivorous" species, though it is hard to say how closely spogin and cellulose compare, molecularly. A fair amount of wood is also found in gut analysis, presumedly the side affects of grazing on spongal growths attached to various woody structures.

Hypostomus/pterygoplichthys/acanthicus/psuedorinelepis/peckoltia -nondescript feeders that will take anything and everything. With unspecialized villiform teeth, these fish will eat anything. From the sand sifting aphanotolurus and squalliforma, to the wood-grazing hypostomus cochliodon, all of these fish, regardless of habitat, are dietary generalists and feed on both vegetation and protein. Both should be fed heartily to ensure that specimens grow sufficiently while staying bloat-free.

Scobinancistrus/hypancistrus/psuedacanthicus-these are the generalized carnivores, so to speak. Some are adept scavengers, others, skilled predators (large scobinancistrus, for example, frequently pluck small, free swimming fishes from the water column above them), and all can tolerate relatively high levels of fat and crude protein. However, in optimal conditions, they should still be fed relatively high quality, lean foods, akin to the dietary recommendations given to the aforementioned leporacanthicus. Similarly, fiber should still be provided, as their natural diet still allows for more fibrous victuals, including beans, seeds, and nuts, which are commonly consumed by all three.

Panaque/lasiancistrus/hypostomus cochliodon-wood. What more is there to say?

Spectracanthicus/various peckoltia/baryancistrus/parancistrus-these deep water limnivores feed exclusively on the bio-film deposited onto various aquatic surfaces by decaying vegetation and animal matter, along with the microorganisms found alongside this organic debris. Because of their deeper water habits, dietary demands of such species are less focused on algae and more on protein. Henceforth, high-protein foods should be fed at least once a day, in addition to a heavy feeding of vegetable matter, corresponding with the dietary mixture found in the awfuchs consume by these fish. Like their shallower water, more herbivorously inclined relatives, they should be fed frequently, corresponding with their grazing lifestyle.

This is a more or less comprehensive list to the dietary needs of subfamily hypostominae, disregarding the rarer fish (cordylancistrus, neblinichthys, etc.) or the veritable scientific trash heaps (ancisti, hemiancistrus, etc.). Enjoy.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
I have put cantelope in there before, but they didn't touch it. This time I nuked it in some water for about 30 seconds first. The barbs, loaches and my pleco all enjoyed it. The clowns are clicking right now. My son loves cantelope, so they will be getting this a lot.

My pleco also loves left over canned green beans. He goes to those immediately.

Neilsie

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
I was thinking of trying to feed my pleco part of a crab stick, should I do this or will it harm him

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store