Pleco food ideas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jcmonkeygirl

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
Visit site
I have had my pleco for about 2 years and all he eats are algae wafers and algae. He doesn't care for his driftwood or zucchini. Does anyone have any ideas of anything else i can feed him. I feel bad that he eats the same thing everyday. My other fish eat a variety of foods.

brianfl

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
South Florida
Visit site
Depends what kind of pleco. Some will eat shrimp pellets, other strictly vegetables. Almost all will eat zucchini, suprised yours doesn't especially since he is big.

thecowman

AC Members
Jun 12, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
Visit site
My pl*co likes to eat spinach and romaine lettuce (don't give it iceburg lettuce, it is very low in nutrients). What I do is I take a piece of slate or other rock and attach the lettuce or spinach with a rubber band so it will sink to the bottom. My pl*co loves this, that is, when the goldfish don't eat it first. You could also blanch the vegetables to make them sink, but this does take some of the nutrients out and the fish seem to enjoy munching on the raw stuff. If yours won't eat it, try different vegetables or just let it continue to eat the wafers and algae. Once it is used to eating these foods, it can be tough to get it to change.

jcmonkeygirl

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
Visit site
i honestly don't know what type of pleco he is. Bought him from petsmart as a COMMON 1.5" pleco. He is only~7" now and i have heard he is supposed to be alot bigger by now. I will try different veggies and hopefully he will like it. thanks for all the suggestions

jcmonkeygirl

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
Visit site
He was in a 10 gallon for awhile, so i bought a 20 gallon. I finally have his 55 gallon set up and he is being moved into that today. I figure i might have stunted his growth from him being in a smaller tank. i am hoping he will grow more now that he is going into the 55.

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
I have one that I've had for about 9 months and he's just now around 7" ... been in a 55 gallon since he was 3", so I don't think he would have been stunted. He's just not growing very fast, not sure why he eats like a pig :D

clayt101

Registered Abuser
I find that plecos grow at different speeds. I have had some that grow fast, some slow. I would recomend trying spinach as well:)

jcmonkeygirl

AC Members
Jun 18, 2003
Visit site
Ok so i tried romaine lettuce and zucchini again and he doesn't like either one of those. I think i will try spinach as well. Thanks for all the help!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store