Pleco ID

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tommygunnz76

Tommy Gunnz
Apr 2, 2006
SE Wisconsin
Hey Everyone!

I have been trying to research the variety of Pleco I bought about two months ago. I am thinking that it is not of the normal garden variety but still unsure. I bought it for three dollars but the LFS employee even remarked that it was different from the rest.

It is a very dark chocolate brown with yellow stripes, which vary in 'yellowness' by mood (when it is eating, it gets very bright). The pattern is almost like a tiger stripe camoflage scheme if you know what that is (which is why we call him the general!). It also has a huge dorsal fin and its tail creates a huge fan when it is open.

I am posting this about 45 minutes after returning from a very large fish store which had just about every kind of pleco I could have imagined, including one that cost over 50 bucks and was tiny. I want to know if once this pleco is too big for my tank, should I give it away to a friend who has a large tank or sell it back to the store that I bought it from. Obviously, if it is rare, I would rather trade it for some other fish I have been eyeing up for weeks now!

Thanks in advance for any help!

General 1.jpg General 2.jpg General 3.jpg

tai95

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
Could you get some better pictures? The ones you posted are not very clear. From your description and the first picture I'd guess a sail fin or maybe a Rhino pleco.

tommygunnz76

Tommy Gunnz
Apr 2, 2006
SE Wisconsin
Well, I realize that the photos are bad and I appologize for that. They are actually from my cell phone since my computer camera pictures came out even worse. I am going to try to get some digital photos tonight but I am guessing that it is not going to get any better since the pleco is just now starting to show itself when there is any light on.

jwddboy

An Oddball Man
Apr 8, 2006
Yup. Looks like a common to me too. This will probably get too big for you if you have a small tank. See if you can give it away to someone with a big tank and then get a smaller plec. Maybe a bristlenose?

Last edited:

tai95

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
I really would like to know how anyone can tell from this picture what kind of pleco it is?

From tommygunnz76's description and from the little I can see in the picture I can't say for sure what it is. The color and pattern described doen't sound like a common.
tommygunnz76 said:
It is a very dark chocolate brown with yellow stripes, which vary in 'yellowness' by mood (when it is eating, it gets very bright). The pattern is almost like a tiger stripe camoflage scheme if you know what that is (which is why we call him the general!). It also has a huge dorsal fin and its tail creates a huge fan when it is open.
I know a lot of different pleco's are lumped into the "common" name. That's why a better picture is needed before an actual ID can be given.

jwddboy

An Oddball Man
Apr 8, 2006
In response to Tai95 all i can say is:

1.Commons are really easy to spot as they are so common.

2. The common pleco is not a wide variety. It is the Hypostomus Plecostomus.

3. Check it out for yourself...

Click here to find out more

tai95

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
jwddboy said:
In response to Tai95 all i can say is:

1.Commons are really easy to spot as they are so common.]
If it was a clear picture I would agree with this.

jwddboy said:
2. The common pleco is not a wide variety. It is the Hypostomus Plecostomus.]
Actually there are a lot of plecos lumped into the "common" pleco name. L021, L023, Liposarcus pardalis,and Hypostomus plecostomus. There are more I just don't feel like looking them up.
From Wikipedia
There are a number of species that are sold on the market under the name Common Pleco, including Hypostomus plecostomus, Hypostomus punctatus, Liposarcus multiradiatus, and Liposarcus pardalis.

jwddboy said:
3. Check it out for yourself...
The picture you tried to post.

Another picture of Hypostomus Plecostomus

And the picture originally posted.

They have a totally different dorsal fin, So I guess it's not a "common". Like I said better pictures are needed.

Last edited:

pophead

back from the dead.
May 19, 2005
Edmonton, Ab. Canada.
I would say almost definately a sailfin. it has similar markings as a common but has more dorsal fin rays.
sailfin plecos(glypteotheris gibbiceps, spelling prob. bad) or gibbys get close to 2 feet in the wild. they usually get only 1 or 1.5 feet(only... :rolleyes: ).
so how big is your aquarium? I wouldn't put a 12 inch pleco in anything smaller than a 90g, but it's ok to keep him in something smaller intil he gets bigger. if he stayes in too small of an aquarium for too long he can get stunted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store