Pleco Problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kreesdqban

Miami Aquarist
Jan 30, 2009
Miami
Yesterday I bought a Clown Pleco and some Harlequin Rasboras. The Rasboras seem to be doing fine, but the Pleco showed some weird behavior today. He has been sitting at the bottom of the tank, usually under some plants or driftwood, not doing much. All of the sudden bursts out from his spot swimming erratically in all different directions for about 5 seconds before stopping and laying on his side for a little while until he turned over and laid on his stomach. He has swam erratically like that twice (that I've seen) and I don't like it one bit.:(

I recently changed the water in the tank and Ammonia & Nitrites are at 0, Nitrates at 10, pH 7.6. I have aerated the tank and it is currently sitting at 76 F.

:help2:

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
Is it a new tank?

The pH is higher than ideal for many plecos. You should find out what the parameters are in his tank in the pet store. If you can get a 1/2 bucket of water from the pet store, I would put him in that(with an airstone) and acclimate him over a few days.

kreesdqban

Miami Aquarist
Jan 30, 2009
Miami
Less than a day. I got him yesterday

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
Is it a new tank?

The pH is higher than ideal for plecos. That can really be an issue if it is a new tank, because ammonia is more toxic the higher the pH.

If you can, I would get a 1/2 bucket of water from the pet store and put him in that temporarily.

yeah i agree.

But I have had my pleco at 7.8 with little problems but my tank is cycled.

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
Less than a day. I got him yesterday
He could just be bad stock. That happens from time to time but also sometimes my fish have acted weird when added to a new tank. He might be stressed. I would suggest that you turn the lights off for a day or so and see if that calms him down.

kreesdqban

Miami Aquarist
Jan 30, 2009
Miami
Is it a new tank?

The pH is higher than ideal for many plecos. You should find out what the parameters are in his tank in the pet store. If you can get a 1/2 bucket of water from the pet store, I would put him in that(with an airstone) and acclimate him over a few days.
Wow... not good news. I hope he can hold until tomorrow... Maybe tomorrow I might be able to go to the LFS

He could just be bad stock. That happens from time to time but also sometimes my fish have acted weird when added to a new tank. He might be stressed. I would suggest that you turn the lights off for a day or so and see if that calms him down.
Yeah I already turned the lights off thinking it would calm him down...

Thanks for the help!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store