Pleco Problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
^ + 1

Yes I feed them algae wafers and driftwood. I never tried zucchini. Also I would love to research but the LFS' here suck and only sell common, magnum, royal and BN plecos. I hate having such a small selection but I live on an island and its hard to get good fish.
Try ordering some online, theres planetcatfish, aquabid, and even google shopping (i found my L183 which is very rare using google shopping) But best of luck to you, i find pleco-keeping very challenging and rewarding.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
The usual cause of pleco deaths is starvation. They are NOT algae eaters. Algae is a part of their diet, but they can rasp at it all day and still starve. They also generally feed at night or lights out. Food has to be available then. Algae wafers that get eaten during the day, don't do a pleco much good.

There are three basic plecos. Carnivores, omnivores, and herbivores. While their diets can over lap, each has differing needs. Driftwood in a tank is for growing algae and more importantly micro-organisms. In a tank that isn't fully cycled and thriving - there are no micro-organisms on the wood. Zucchini is a great staple for many plecos but some won't look at it as food.

Since you have limited options for livestock, research will be easier.
Consider hanging out for a while at Plecoworld, PlecoPlanet, PlanetCatfish, and Bristlenoseworld where people specializing in plecos hang out.

PlecoLuvr

AC Members
Aug 7, 2011
MD
If your store uses test strips, I would question the accuracy of the tests. They have been known to be less than accurate and the time it takes you to grab a sample and take to store can alter the actual readings. I say this based on actual testing on my part to see if there was a difference and found it to be true for me. I recommend that you invest in an API Master Test Kit which usually runs about $30.

Glad to see you have driftwood as it is a necessary part for the diet of many plecos.
Liquid test can also create false readings as well if you have used any chemical (ie. Prime, Amquel, Ammolock, etc.) to detoxify Ammonia, Nitrites or Nitrates. Test strips work fine. I have an API Master Test Kit and test strips and have never found test strips to be inaccurate. I often use test strips in chases where I have added Prime where a liquid test will give me a false reading.

I do however agree that you should allow you tank to cycle longer before adding another Pleco. One week is not enough time to fully cycle a 30 gallon tank. No reason to waste more or your money, or fish, in an environment it can't survive in or will suffer in. It is much more rewarding being just a little more patient and having you pleco happy and watching it grow.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
thats a workable temp

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
i say get your tank cycled and get a bulldog plec. i have one and i think theyre really beautiful. they have the plates which kind of look like stripes and then they have spotts on the forhead. plus they have a cool looking tail. i found my bulldog at petsmart.

lMorphine

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
New York
I called a LFS across in another state and they have albino bristlenose so Ill probably pick that one up when everythings good to go. Would that be a good choice for me? They said its about an inch long max.

lMorphine

AC Members
Sep 11, 2011
New York
Alright great. Now what will the ABN BN eat? I have the driftwood, algae wafers and I just picked up some zucchini. Do you think he'll eat them?

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Yep, all listed. Sometimes, they will even eat bloodworms but prefer a vegetable diet more. They love zucchini the best :) Also get him/her a cave, if you can. They love dark places.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store