Pleco with "flesh eating wound"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Yes it is possible it is a heater burn spot (see my post above) and it is very evident that he is too crowded in that tank. When a tank is too small, health problems including stunting occur. Stunting will shorten his life considerably and may lead to secondary ailments as a result. This is a fish that should live about 20 years. I have one that is about 7 years old. The correct name of this fish is Pterygoplichthys Pardalis or P.disjunctivus depending on the pattern on his stomach. For more information on this fish go to: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/_species.php?species_id=88

owenodin

AC Members
May 17, 2011
Northeast
Poor pleco. That looks painful! I'm surprised he has been getting on okay with that like that.

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
Melafix/pimafix combo, Salt, Use stress coat in the water, add furian-2, and some aqua bandage if you really want to try n save him.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I disagree on the melafix/pimafix, they are not meds, and please don't use salt on that pleco, that will do more harm than good. He needs to be in an empty tank, free of any dirty substrate, with Maracyn and Maracyn 2 added. And big water changes between redosing the meds. That wound has gotten that big because of bacteria continuing to eat away at it. To kill bacteria and halt the damage and permit healing, it needs medication. Wouldn't you use antibiotics on your own deep flesh wound to keep it from getting worse and to heal it? Having it in a tiny tank where it's own waste accumulates very quickly does not help matters either, but it sounds like you don't have a bigger tank to isolate him in.

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
Melafix/pimafix too me are a wound healer forshure, and keep bacteria/fungus at bay. Im talking low ammounts of salt to help clean the wound.marycn is a good choice awsell and can be used ontop of m/p.

Sally P

AC Members
Jan 23, 2012
Our pleco is not getting better, almost looks like he has been fileted as in pic above this post.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Salt can be toxic to tetras and plecos. Do not use it. I agree with Pinkertd. It is the most sound advice offered. Melafix and Pimafix are not medications and are helpful to prevent, not cure, an infection. This is beyond herbal remedies and needs a more aggressive treatment. Regular water changes do about the same amount of curing as mela/pima-fix. Daily 50-75% water changes will also help.

It is also possible that this may be a ruptured cyst or tumor, hence the need for an antibiotic. Being in a tank that is too small only exacerbates the condition. This fish needs to be rehomed to someone with a tank and knowledge to care for it. It may already be too late.

Plecos, much like goldfish, are known to create a heavy amount of waste. Larger tanks offer more water to help with the waste generated. The smaller the tank, the more often the water needs changing.

P. pardalis is known as common pleco and are widely sold as algae eater. However, most of them grow too large to be housed in an average home aquarium. In fact, in the wild, the Common Pleco can well exceed 2 feet in length, and, as well as growing large, they also produce a lot of waste that can pollute the water.
(Note: I have one also and I keep it in a 90 gallon tank)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Antibiotics are real drugs like Maracin1 & 2. melafix & pfx are not, more herbal preventatives at best. You need the real antiboitics now, furan (2) or others may also work but it's NOT a herbal "cure-all" time. Don't use more than 1 medication at a time unless they are specifically designed to work together (like like Maracin 1 + 2). You'll only pollute your water with so many different drugs & adversely effect your fish, NO salt, no "herbals" IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store