Pond construction, from dreams to reality!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Muske

AC Members
Aug 7, 2009
Mundelein IL
Did the lady at the store say you needed to drain the pond and clean the gravel up to two times a year?

My pond is going on year 6 and has never been drained to clean. I do small (1-200 gals.) water changes in spring and fall and regular maintenance. I may do a little larger water change in the fall to give the fish fresh water for the winter, but nothing serious. I have to also say I have never used a UV or had green water. The gravel is a huge componet in creating a closed ecosystem. It contains so many BB and enzymes that I can only think fresh, clorinated water and air will nuke some of the work done to cycle it. Small water changes are a good thing if bio-load is up, but those can be very minimal and easily preformed. Overfiltering is my middle name, and plants are like jell-o, always room for more.

Resale of Koi will be hard if you don't know the lineage or parents of the fish for sale. They do help make friends in the local Koi/pond clubs, but that is up to you. To get fry to survive with other fish in the pond is tricky. All other Koi or goldfish will love to get the protein from roe and fry. Once the final gallonage is determined, a final choice as to weather or not house Koi will be easy to do. I would recomend metering the total volume of water from the start so you know exact gals. in the event you need to dose w/meds. down the road.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
SOOOO....The pond got bigger again. Now looking at 2300+ gallons, whoops! :D Here is what happened today & yesterday (shopping)...

-Moved pond away from the house a little bit & enlarged
-Fully dug out pond depth
-Decided on rock shape, fieldstone
-Bought...
20x25 liner & underlayment
Proline 5000 Skimmer
Proline 5000 Falls
Proline hy-drive 4800
Waterfall Foam
-And changed my mind yet again! I am getting Koi! Everyone is telling me I will regret not going for it and seeing them in person the past few days I have fallen in love with butterfly koi, who wouldn't? The biggest thing was seeing a pond the same size as mine at the store that was packed with koi (different sizes) and seeing that a large fish would not look so silly in this size pond. It is a shame the fish are 50% off right now though. :(

So the pond is now about 11' long, 7' largest section, 6' on small end, 3'depth on small end & 3.5'deep on the big end.

Money sent so far.......$913 Everything for the pond itself is bought except the plumbing. So I think I am doing pretty good so far considering I cut NO corners, got good quality stuff or didn't DIY anything.

Pictures! Please don't mind the mud all over the floor & walls, that is what happens when you dig in the rain. :) Last picture is some of the concrete that was removed, it was what used to be the shed floor about 40 years ago.

100_2469.JPG 100_2470.JPG 100_2472.JPG 100_2474.JPG 100_2475.JPG 100_2468.JPG 100_2476.JPG 100_2477.JPG 100_2478.JPG

ayra321

}((((*>
Jul 28, 2009
florida
*sigh*
by the time you are done you are gonna have a lake in your backyard.....
looks great though

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
lol, thanks but it can't get any bigger we are running out of liner. :) Love your avatar!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks Dangerdoll! Yeah everyone likes progression threads, I sure know I do! :) Besides I love sharing it with people, not many people I know like fish...at all...most are down right sick of them at this point because I never stop talking about them! :D

Tomorrow's agenda is to finish leveling off the surrounding area, move that dirt pile, pack and smooth the sides/bottom & to go rock browsing at the least.

Can anyone suggest a good resource for Koi info?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I forgot to answer Muske, sorry! First of all thanks for all the info! Yes the lady said SHE cleans her 10,000g pond once a year to prevent crashes due to stuff stuck in the rocks. Any ideas on how to meter/measure the water without buying an $80 meter? :)

With the current expected specs how many koi do you think I could have? The lady said 15 but that seemed a bit much.

Booyaababe

Toni
Dec 13, 2008
Camden, Tn.
Pond

Hi...

I was just checking out your thread on the pond. I'm also in the middle of pond construction. Gets a bit overwhelming ...goodluck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store