Pond Species question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

discus12

AC Members
May 21, 2010
Golden Barbs can be kept in ponds over winter.
Fatheads/Rosy reds can be out all your round.
I have heard of keeping paradise fish/gouramis in ponds during the winter.
Dojo/weather loaches will survive though if you have larger frogs they will likely eat the loaches.
Hi Fin Cats may survive the winter but you would have more luck with larger healthy ones, the smaller ones generally won't do very well or survive in the winter from what I heard.
US Natives like sunfish, darters, stonerollers, red belly dace, gambusia, will survive.
Golden orfe will do fine in the winter.

Chill

Seasons Greetings
Jun 16, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
I'm in Newfoundland I would expect the climate is pretty similar. I've had rosy reds in an unheated pond overwinter just fine, as long as the pond is deep enough to not freeze completely to the bottom. Common opinion here is if the pond is at least 3 feet deep it won't freeze completely and I haven't had any problems with that depth.

I haven't tried weather loaches as the bottom temperature range usually given is 50F (that's June weather here).

I haven't tried Mountain Minnows because I expect the gold fish would eat them and because I don't think they would be that easy to see in the pond. I suspect from a temperature perspective they would be fine.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
This thread is 5 years old. ;) It was bumped up a month ago though.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Sticklebacks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store