Pool sand vs Play sand vs Construction sand !!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
So which one guys ?!?!

- pool sand doesn't change the pH but it it's white and can damage the gills
- play sand has the color(natural) that I want but doesn't have the texture(too small grain)
- construction sand(my favorite) has the color and texture(sugar grain) that I want but I don't know how safe it is

So again....which one, I really need some ideas as I need to start the tank ASAP......

Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate it.
I don't know where you're getting that info...I've never had issues with PFS. And it definitely can run in darker colors.

ducatigirl

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
Bunbury, Western Australia
ALOT of people use pool filter sand...maybe make a new thread asking how safe is it?
See what others think?
My fish put it in their mouth and throw it around making sand castles....

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
By construction sand are you talking about the stuff that comes in big tubes? has anyone used it for planted tanks or with bottom dwellers?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Whether construction sand will mess with your pH depends on where you live. Mined building sand is rarely transported long distances, but normally mined relatively locally. If you live in Florida you can bet that your sand is limestone from fossilized reefs. If you live where granite is the predominant stone your building sand will probably be granite. If you want to know just drop some of the sand in a bit of vinegar and if it fizzes it's limestone and will buffer the water and possibly raise pH. If not it won't affect pH.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
ALOT of people use pool filter sand...maybe make a new thread asking how safe is it?
See what others think?
I've heard this to (that it can be harmful to the gills), but my sand sifting goby (SW) puts this stuff through his gills all day, so I think he would show some signs of distress... and I would think fishes which have no need to play with sand wouldn't touch it if it was doing much harm.

It does not add silicates to the water, this I know...

Alexpatrascu

AC Members
Feb 1, 2010
Montreal, CA
By construction sand are you talking about the stuff that comes in big tubes? has anyone used it for planted tanks or with bottom dwellers?
The one that I'm talking about comes in regular 50 pounds sand bags....

I think I'll go to HomeDepot and take a sample for testing(TDS, pH...)

ducatigirl

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
Bunbury, Western Australia
See what others think?
I just took a video of him...pool filter sand mixed with river sand...it never used to be mixed up.lol
no damage to his gills.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gTThoHApIw

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store