Poor corydoras :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Born4spd

AC Members
Dec 1, 2007
i would use sand except, A. I like my plants :) B. I think sand is harder to clean. (my lil bro had it in his 20L it was a PITA)

Im so excited about these baby cories :) i put them in a large net and set it in the tank i think i will add java moss as suggested.

Kinda quick question..... do the eggs come "out" fertilized?

OldMan47

I love my endlers
Jan 1, 2008
Central Illinois
I have plain ole brown gravel from petsmart. So i don't think that's the problem.

I am guessing that your problem may be the plain old gravel. Take a hard look at the individual pieces of gravel that make up your substrate. Maybe even use a magnifying glass to examine it. Although it may be chemically OK for tropical fish in general, not many fish are as particular about their surfaces as a cory. For a cory, the gravel needs to have a rounded shape with no sharp edges. If the gravel was made the right size for your tank by the vendor crushing larger gravel down to size, it may well have sharp edges to it. Anything from pea gravel to sand will work fine with cories as long as it's not sharp. Some of the sand used for building is intentionally sharp although it is quite small. It makes better concrete and mortar if it's sharp so don't blame the store for carrying the right stuff for their normal customers.
Good luck figuring it out but my first suspect is the gravel.

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
Sorry to ask a question in your thread -

Is regular Flourite okay for cories?

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
I have plants in my tank w/ pool filter sand. They are growing just fine. My cories love it! And it is not hard to clean at all. All the food crumbs/poo, etc do not go down into crevices like it does w/ gravel. It just stays on top and either gets eaten or vac'd up when I do a water change. I will never use gravel again! The last tank I had it in was impossible to keep clean.....

Born4spd

AC Members
Dec 1, 2007
noodles, i hate to bother you but do you have any pics of your tank?
You have made me curious.

Icom

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Iowa
I have plants in my tank w/ pool filter sand. They are growing just fine. My cories love it! And it is not hard to clean at all. All the food crumbs/poo, etc do not go down into crevices like it does w/ gravel. It just stays on top and either gets eaten or vac'd up when I do a water change. I will never use gravel again! The last tank I had it in was impossible to keep clean.....
same here..no more gravel for me..I'm even going to take the eco complete out of a 20L and put in pool filter sand. plants grow just fine in it,the cories love digging/rooting around it,way easier to clean;just hover the vac over it.

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
noodles, i hate to bother you but do you have any pics of your tank?
You have made me curious.
yea, but it is a crappy pic. My camera is smarter than me! I will be changing my tank out next weekend for a 45 but will have the same basic set up; move things around a bit, hope to find more driftwood.......
pool filter sand is a whole diff animal than play sand. Try it - I promise you will LOVE it! and your cories will thank you for it! :grinyes:

FTS.jpg

Born4spd

AC Members
Dec 1, 2007
i actually have some regular aquarium sand...its my lil brothers old sand , he replaced it with gravel.

I just setup the 20L in my room omg.. little brothers + aquarium = YUCK after the sloshing around from traveling upstairs to my room... the entire tank had a layer of detritus over the gravel :( guess how he has it stocked lol you guys are gonna hate this.

He has an oscar and like 10 platys in it. :(

now i need to think up some ideas for stocking.

Thank god for pet store associate discounts :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store