possible beta infection/disease

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nereidphoenix

AC Members
Sep 7, 2007
Hi!
I just got a betta about a week ago and set him up in a 3 gallon tank. All has gone well up until now- I added a couple corycats in there with him and they get along great, and before he seemed happy: active, making bubbles at the surface of the water, eating fine.

However, tonight I've noticed he's less active than normal and his behavior has become erratic: he now floats in the middle or at the surface of the water, nearly motionless, and then darts toward the substrate (small rocks) to quickly rub his sides against them and swim back up. He's even done this ON a corycat once or twice... This hasn't been going on long, but I know it's not a good sign and I'd like to know if there's anything I can do or if it's even an issue. All water parameters were recently checked and fine, I just did a 50% water change yesterday and I have a filter up and running.

Thanks for all your help!
Nereid

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
Keep your eyes open for ich to develop. Will show as tiny white spots like grains of sand on the fish. Seems as tho something is irritating your beta causing him to flash.

Have you tested your water parameter (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? For a cycled tank the ammonia and nitrITE should read 0. If they are more than zero, this could be the cause for your bettas behaviour.

Blue

nereidphoenix

AC Members
Sep 7, 2007
Got water parameters tested at the lfs a few days ago and all were fine, just tested again at home and still good, ammonia 0 nitrites 0. He seems to have stopped flashing for now but it's still a bit worrying.. Will look out for ich (that's what I was worried most about).

I was told the cories would be fine, and they look very happy and healthy.

Ms.Bubbles

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
Hi,
Hopefully that 3 gallon was cycled before you added fish, otherwise you're going to have a heck of an ammonia spike very soon, especially since the tank is overcrowded (3 gallon is really only good for 1 betta).

It is recommended to quarantine all new fish for several weeks before adding them to a tank with healthy fish. It is possible that disease may have come in to the tank through the new cories.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store