Powder blue surgeons

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
UV steralizers will help control white spot, but will not eliminate it all together. Cleaner shrimp are the same. The only way to prevent white spot 100% is to quarantine all fish before putting them into your show tank. Most people do not recommend treating fish not showing symptoms.

I keep all fish in a cycled QT for two weeks proir to adding them to the tank. If they show no signs of illness, I don't treat them. However, if I see one white spot, I attack with every weapon in the arsenal. Ich is a parasite, and cannot live without fish. Therefore, Ich is not present in your tank proir to being introduced by sick fish. Many fish can carry the parasite but show no outward symptoms. My thoughts on the matter tend towards treating every fish prior to introduction into the tank, however, Dr. Tullock has some very choice words against that. He knows more than I do, so I'll defer to him.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
In that yellow tangs are often stressed by the same conditions that stress other tangs, no. Small tanks---anything that does not provide a large swimming area, usually 4 foot MINIMUM--are a key stress factor for tangs. Inadequate food is the other problem. Tangs need to graze throughout the entire day, and be provided with a variety of herbivore foods.

If these conditions can't be met, it's best to avoid tangs. I have a rescued regal who is stunted to about 6 inches (he was stunted when we got him from someone who was getting rid of their tank, and was going to kill the fish otherwise). Even at this small size, this is a very active, nervous fish. He's always moving, and fast.

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
My yellow tang never got white spot, but he did get black spot, and it killed him. I had him in a 3 foot wide 46 gallon tank, and he spent most of the day pacing the tank walls. It was a very active fish.

6thsense06

AC Members
Aug 25, 2003
Sydney Australia
Visit site
just out of curiosity how fast does the powder blue tang and sailfin tang grow....?

and the sizes for each?....i was led to believe that the powder blue tangs can grow up to 9" in an aquarium?...

cheers

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store