Power Compacts and Cover Glass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wcwirla

AC Members
Nov 23, 2004
I'm thinking about installing a set of 2x55 watt power compacts over my 29 gallon. At the moment, I have ordinary fluorescents without a cover glass. Will I need a cover glass if I switch to PCs?

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
I use cover glasses to prevent water from either splashing or condensing on the light fixture.
I recently took apart an old fluorescent fixture that had fallen into the tank (don't ask, a long time ago when I was young & silly). Though I dried what I could see and get to right away and the light worked for years afterwards, the water had rusted and sort of rotted away much of the interior of the fixture. Obviously no one's going to dip their fixture in the tank, but I think years of condensation/splashing could create a similar problem, so I use glass on the big tank just to ease my mind.
That said, I have a hood on the small tank that's (supposedly) designed to be 'splash proof' - there are rubber seals around where the bulbs screw in, and the light is raised up (the hood is sort of semi-circular with the lights at the top) above the water level. I've checked to make sure there's no water on or near the bulbs or surrouding area, but it still makes me feel a bit funny even though they say it's safe.

Hydro

AC Members
Oct 31, 2003
Manitoba, Canada
Visit site
In addition to the above, another consideration to having a cover is whether you plan to add fish that jumps. I'm assuming you don't have any jumpers now since you said you are currently not using a cover.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store