power head decision

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
Okay, almost eight years into the hobby and I don't have a powerhead in my 55 gallon tank. :huh: Right now I have a rather loud, powerful bubble wand going and my air pump is so loud I turn it down at night because it's in my bedroom.

I want a quiet power head. I don't want to buy the wrong thing, so I'm asking for some leads so I can read some reviews. :1zhelp:

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
Powerheads are generally very quiet, it's the bubbles produced that can be a little noisy. Unless the bubble wand is part of your aquascape, ditch it. You can Google powerheads and read reviews if you want. I've owned quite a few and find there's not much difference in them. I've got two Maxi Jets in my box o' stuff and two Top Fins still going strong. Penguins are reliable as well as Hagen AC. Good luck.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have both maxijets & an AC 70, both have their good points. AC is adjustible & reversable but twice the price of maxijets. Neither seems loud but they're not in my bedroom...

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
so two smaller ones would make more sense than one larger one? Everyone seems to have two. One directed in the middle and one directed towards the bottom? Do they all magnet to the side?

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
No, the only ones that magnet to the side are the "circulation pumps" not the old school powerheads like the AquaClear and Maxi Jet.

I'd go with Koralias, or similar. The knock off brands on eBay seem to work ok.

Remember that powerheads in the old days were meant to power undergravel filter uplift tubes or power sponge filters. Nowadays the circulation pumps do nothing more than circulate water, but they are the quietest and most powerful, not to mention the easiest to mount (no suction cups, which always fail eventually)

Two, one for each side, is probably best for a 4 foot tank, but you can also get just one and mount it close to the surface...fish will swim against the current, and the ones that don't like the flow, like the rams maybe, will just avoid it.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Is there a certain size tank (and beyond) where you really need, or should have these power-heads to circulate water?

Can't you accomplish the same thing with multiple HOBs or just multiple forms of filtration in the tank?

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
You can check what you have for filtration and see if you have enough circulation as it is. I like to go with between 8-10 the volume of the tank, so 440-550 gph on a 55 gallon aquarium.

Barbs, danios, loaches and other fish from highly oxygenated waters generally prefer more current...so while it may not be necessary, the fish like it.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
No, the only ones that magnet to the side are the "circulation pumps" not the old school powerheads like the AquaClear and Maxi Jet.

I'd go with Koralias, or similar. The knock off brands on eBay seem to work ok.

Remember that powerheads in the old days were meant to power undergravel filter uplift tubes or power sponge filters. Nowadays the circulation pumps do nothing more than circulate water, but they are the quietest and most powerful, not to mention the easiest to mount (no suction cups, which always fail eventually)

Two, one for each side, is probably best for a 4 foot tank, but you can also get just one and mount it close to the surface...fish will swim against the current, and the ones that don't like the flow, like the rams maybe, will just avoid it.
How do they mount now? I'll start with one and go from there. There are several different kinds of Koralias. There are Evolution, Magnum, Nano and and a controllable one. This is the part when I buy the wrong one because some of these have magnets. Magnets are bad right? Evolution has a magnetic base. They definitely seem to like it better when I crank up the air pump. I think this is a good idea.

A. Nonymous

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Is there a certain size tank (and beyond) where you really need, or should have these power-heads to circulate water?

Can't you accomplish the same thing with multiple HOBs or just multiple forms of filtration in the tank?
It ultimately depends on what kind of fish you're keeping. Some love fast moving currents. Others like still pools. All but my SW tank err on the latter side. I've never used a power head on any of my other tanks and never seen any point in it unless you have fish that prefer the current. For the record, I also don't run bubble wands on any of my tank and the output of my canisters is designed to not disturb the surface of the water. That's what has worked for me.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
The barbs and the tetras seem to enjoy it. The ottos sit on the wand a lot even when I have it cranked on high. I really think I need the movement with less noise.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store