power head decision

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Not sure why you're questioning if magnets are bad, but to answer your question, no they aren't. I'd go with either the Koralia Evo or Nano. BTW, just about every filter and powerhead has an electromagnetic motor to turn the impeller. If magnets were bad, that would pretty much exclude everything from use including Magfloat algae cleaners.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Magnets aren't bad, they are far superior to the crappy suction cups...all of which eventually turn hard and brittle and lose their sticking ability.

Koralia was one of the first, but now there are lots of brands. The Aqueon 700 gph one is pretty cheap on Amazon.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
How do they mount now? I'll start with one and go from there. There are several different kinds of Koralias. There are Evolution, Magnum, Nano and and a controllable one. This is the part when I buy the wrong one because some of these have magnets. Magnets are bad right? Evolution has a magnetic base. They definitely seem to like it better when I crank up the air pump. I think this is a good idea.
Nano's are the ones I'd go with since you don't need a ton of circulation, they use magnets as well. Nothing wrong with the magnetic ones, I prefer them over the suction cup ones. Tunze turbelle nanostream is also a nice pump.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
Sorry, I read that wrong about the magnets. I'm not concerned. I appreciate the referrals. I hate buying the wrong thing!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
The barbs and the tetras seem to enjoy it. The ottos sit on the wand a lot even when I have it cranked on high. I really think I need the movement with less noise.
Maybe a quieter air pump for the wand?

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
Platytudes mentioned eBay powerheads- I use the eBay powerheads on my saltwater reef, with no issue so far. I got a pair of 1300gph powerheads for only $30, the pair for a 55 gallon would be even cheaper, and I would recommend them.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
Maybe a quieter air pump for the wand?
I have a quieter one, but it has no power. This one is a beast, but I can't seem to quiet it down. It's an older version. I'd rather put the money in this I think.

I will check out all of these mentioned. I need to order some eheim tubes, so I'll probably place an order and get some free shipping someplace.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
I got the Aqueon 950. It packs a punch. Now I will have to play with what angle I shoot it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store