Powered Gravel Cleaner

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bdobosz

Jan 2, 2005
I was clicking around Dr. Fosters Smith today and noticed they are selling a self contained Power Gravel Vacuum. Has anyone used this before? I was thinking it might be a good tool for more frequent cleaning that do not require a water change. Below is the link:

Power Vac

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I haven't used that.

But I do have a Mag 350 set up the same way that I use on my tanks, at less than half that price.

trying

AC Members
Jan 16, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
Bob,
What do you mean. How would it work? I saw the power gravel cleaner also and was wondering how it worked. Do you use Mag 350 just for cleaning?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I use lots of Mags. Have one on a roll around cart, kind of like a modified hand truck.

The suction is hooked to a piece of very flexible python tubing with a standard gravel vac tube. The disgharge has more python tubing hooked to a standard Mag return "U". I fill the Mag with fine floss and filter sleeves, hook the discharge over the edge of the tank and go to town.

Easy to break down and clean if you worry about cross contamination.

Native American

Just Another Flying Fish
Apr 25, 2005
Altus, OK
I have about 3 Mags, too. I use an old Penguin 1140 powerhead with PVC plumbing to a hose end barb, and drop the contraption into a bucket. Does the same thing as rbishop's setup, except it does not return the water, since I do water changes while vacuuming.

rbishop's setup is more versatile, as he can return water to the tank if a change is not warranted, plus his will pull a bit more suction.

v/r, N-A

aardvark1

Too many tanks are almost enough...
Sep 27, 2005
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
MAde a "Pooper Scooper" yesterday; got to take some pics and share.

Had an AC30 powerhead laying around, hot glue some 3/8 tubing to the intake. On the outtake, rubber banded a mesh filter bag.

Tried it out on the 10 gallon Angel fry tank first; sucked up all the crud on the bottom of the bare floor tank. Fry swam away when the tube got close (was afraid I'd suck them up) Worked great!

Next tried it on the Pleco Poop in the 55. Didn't work quite as good (need to up the flow on the PH next time I try it), but still got most of the floaters out.

Reason for building it was I'm running a sand substrate, and the poop shows up REAL good. This beats dragging out the Python every other day!

Only thing to watch is to make sure the outtake is under water before plugging it in....

Will takes pics tonight and post in the DIY section.

MollyBreeder

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Hawley, Pennsylivina
I've seen battery powered ones, and air powered one. Not sure how well eithers work, but I was think about buying one. But, I thought I read somewhere that you shouldn't use them, IDK why.

aardvark1

Too many tanks are almost enough...
Sep 27, 2005
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
Here's a pic of the "Pooper Scooper MKI":

Bit "Ghetto", but it works!

Was thinking of getting one of those battery powered vacs, but it says on the Dr F&S site that it can't be submerged and longest length is 16"; no good on my 55 Gallon tank!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store