Powerheads, is there ever too much flow?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Statman

AC Members
Nov 3, 2004
My tank is 120 gallons, I dont have the dimensions in front of me but I know its 6 feet long, cant remember the height or depth. Anyway Im for sure getting a Koralia #4 for the left and right sides of the tank. Im also considering put either 1 or 2 #3's (or #2's if a better idea) on the back wall facing the front of the tank.
First, is this too much?
Second, I dont recall ever seening powerheads on the back wall facing the front. Is there a reason for that? Is it not a good idea?

Thanks ;]

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I've seen Powerheads on the back wall.. And in quite a few tanks I've looked at. In fact I have one on my back wall as well. But I agree with Grins in that if you are going to have an SPS tank I've heard that they actually do better with the uber increased flow rates.

Robin Alv

Robin
Jan 14, 2008
New Jersey
Well gee...I'm beginning to think I have overkill! In a 37 gallon I have two Koralia #3's. Is that too much. The tank is fairly new so I have very few corals in it yet. However, it is basically a soft coral tank with a couple of fish. I have a canister filter and a skimmer also (no sump, etc.) Should I be worried that I have too much "flow?"

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
WELLLLLLL.

Most common suggestion is 20-40 X watervolume total turnover for a reef.

Now, if you go bare bottem, and wanna go sps, ive heard 40-60 X

then when i did research on the hole zoea-vit thing, they suggest a BB w/ 60-80X's.

i have 37 X in my tank, and im wantin more, but running out of room...

hmmmm, not really much of an answer....

Statman

AC Members
Nov 3, 2004
I will be keeping corals, no idea what yet as that wont happen until next year when I can afford to invest in good lighting. I just didnt know if a #4 on either end would give enough flow to such a large area, so I thought a few smaller powerheads on the back wall in the middle would help out.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I wouldn't say there are too many people who went overkill. I am an admitted flow freak. I have over 150x turnover, totalling just over 10000 gph in my 75. I have plans on it being 90%+ sps dominated, however.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
wow... 150x.. that is A LOT. Of course, can't compete with ocean currents.. but gotta be getting close.

On my 60G it has returns on both ends, each one split with loc-line spray arms as well as a closed loop setup on the back wall with 2 returns. I plan on having 60-70x turnover on that tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store