Pregnant guppy is stuck giving birth! Help been over 12 hours!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

UnderLaLaLand

AC Members
Jan 4, 2018
My guppy is separated in a breeding tank and has had one baby that I know about and it looks like there's another one coming out but it looks stuck. How can I help her get it out? It's been over 12 hours. I feed them bloodworms if that helps and she's usually in a 60 gallon. It also looks like she has a hole in her abdomen is it possible the other fish have gotten to her and she's not able to push anymore out.?!?

1515128002878872314258.jpg

1515128218114613848380.jpg

Guppies99

AC Members
Oct 13, 2017
This might sound stupid but it does work but u will have to be very careful not to stress her out,if they are use to ur hands try tickling her under side so basically a very light touch as she swims over ur finger or u can try giving her a small amount of high grade protein food (if she has a regular diet of protein try a boiled pea shelled and smooshed don't feed her much as u don't want the extra wastage in the breeding box) the one that is stuck is probably dead by now

UnderLaLaLand

AC Members
Jan 4, 2018
I tried rubbing her belly I tried squeezing her belly a little bit. It's been a day and a half and I've only got one for I and it looks like there's still one stuck in there and there's a big red gaping hole is that normal? And I still can't get any more babies to come out her front fins look red and swollen

UnderLaLaLand

AC Members
Jan 4, 2018
I add brackish solution to it. I don't add salt though. Should I? I have a lot of fresh water and some brackish and some a bit more on the tropical. They've done well so far. This is my 3rd set up. Tank is 60 gal and has been set up over a year. I had it going with no fish for 3 months to get it set up. I have live plants and a wide variety of fish. All pretty non aggressive if any of this helps. This is my first fry though so I have no clue what to expect except for what I'm finding online. The pet store is no help. This is what she( guppy) currently looks like.

1515352208440181027755.jpg

Guppies99

AC Members
Oct 13, 2017
i use an aquarium salt in my guppy tank they are so playful I have found the extra minerals in the salt replenish there vigior but I use an amount set for freshwater aquariums so the Guppys organs aren't affected by the salt. In your case you won't be able to just add the salt to the tank u will a
Have to add it gradually but I would google the right way to do it but pls rem salt doesn't evaporate so if your water is evaporating the salt lvl doesn't it becomes a higher lvl of salt and starts to effect the fishs organs

UnderLaLaLand

AC Members
Jan 4, 2018
Thanks. Good to know. My guppy now has some stringy like poop looking substance coming from her belly but it's not poop. So maybe shell get rest of whatever is out. But my male guppy died today and when I checked my water levels my pH was pretty high so I lowered it back down to about 7.5 or 8. But my nitrates are still really high and my water hardness is really high is there anything I can do to lower them and maybe that will help?

blissskr1

Registered Member
May 20, 2011
It looks like someone took a chunk out of her stomach it could have been the angel fish or the dojo loach from what I see of your tank pic. I've never seen a guppies stomach rupture from a stuck baby usually they just end up dying at that point.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store