pregnant guppy stuck?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

etspam

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
Hi all-

I've had guppies for years, and have had lots of fry. Have never seen them give birth, but find the fry when they do. There is one guppy who is tremendously pregnant. Huge/bloated, completely square shaped. I moved her to a smaller enclosure inside of the main tank, since the males kept chasing here. However, no new fry have appeared yet. It looks like there's a plug(?) in her gravid spot. It looks like a pimple almost, red bulb w/white head. It's been there for over a day or two. It doesn't look like a dead fry? But I can't really tell. I'm not sure if I should try getting it out somehow like gentle squeezing or something, but don't want to stress or harm her in the process. Picture is grainy, but you can see the round thingy in the back. Anyone have suggestions? I do not have a separate tank to put her in.

ET20200617_160215.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Could be a prolapse, whatever it is doesn't look good. Her gravid spot doesn't seem very dark. You might try some Epsom salt to see if that helps if she's just constipated or bloated. It shouldn't hurt your other fish, shrimp or plants.

Is she very old? That might have it's own set of issues like kidney failure. Do her scales seem to stick out in a "pinecone" way? It looks like they might along her back. Sorry, I haven't kept livebearers for many years, that's the best I can do.

Reactions: the loach

etspam

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
Yes, her gravid spot isn't dark, it's more reddish color, which I thought confusing, but I thought maybe it was possible, as I see other females the same.

And she is old, she's one of three oldest and largest females in the tank, and has given birth many times before. Her bloating/squre shape is bizarre, more abnormal than I've seen before.

etspam

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
I can't really put a date to it, as I'm not really tracking them. They give birth so much, I have to periodically sell off the excess, as my tank gets overloaded. I try to keep the older ones though, of which I have three, and this is one of them. I would say at least a year or longer in age.

Do they get that bloated with kidney failure? I tried to google kidney failure and guppies, but I ended up with human kidney failure links more than anything. I'll probably start getting medical ads related to kidney diseases now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store