Pregnant or possibly pregnant black molly, what is normal?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Its_my_puppys_tank

AC Members
May 3, 2017
I got two black mollies probably just about a month ago. I think they are bother female (help sexing would also be appreciated). I have been feeding them and watching all the fish in my tank and I thought that the one was being a piggy and getting fat. Last night I came home and spotted a little tiny black molly at the bottom of my tank so I ran to LPS and bought a 3 way breaded because while I think it is the one molly that gave birth to it what I have read on the Internet tells me it could be either of them.

The one is reallt fatand the other was pooping white which I read was a sign they are about to give birth.

I don't want to leave the two big mollies in the breaded for too long but neither have given birth again.

Both ate the food I offered them this morning.

Is it possible for them to only give birth to one fry or that all the other had already been eaten by the time I got home?

20170503_185329.jpg

20170503_185255.jpg

20170503_185250.jpg

20170503_185236.jpg

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Sexing them is easy. Males have an altered anal fin called a gonopodium which is pointy, thin and long whereas a female's anal fin is short, triangular and kinda fan like. I can only really see the one in the pics with both and she is definitely female, if they both have the same type of anal fin they are both female. As you probably read they can give birth to babies long after having mated. The second pictured posted with the female with the squarish belly and tiny tube coming from her vent looks to be the one giving birth and she doesn't look done yet. I'd just observe them till a baby pops out and then remove the other one. Expect more babies and good luck.

Its_my_puppys_tank

AC Members
May 3, 2017
The second pictured posted with the female with the squarish belly and tiny tube coming from her vent looks to be the one giving birth and she doesn't look done yet. I'd just observe them till a baby pops out and then remove the other one. Expect more babies and good luck.
We have removed the one that seemed to not have have the belly and left the other one in the breeder box for what has now been another 24 hours. I am looking at her now and she is now smaller then her other companion (belly wise) do you think it would now be a wise idea to remover her if she has lost all of her belly?20170504_174435.jpg 20170504_174431.jpg both pictures are of the suspected pregnant one

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Did she have anymore babies?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
It could take 48 hours for her to finish dropping them but my guess is that you caught it right at the end. If she isn't freaking out too much I'd leave her there a bit longer. Have you looked for other fry in the main tank? They are tiny and good at hiding. I had a hard time finding them in an almost bare QT tank!

Its_my_puppys_tank

AC Members
May 3, 2017
It could take 48 hours for her to finish dropping them but my guess is that you caught it right at the end. If she isn't freaking out too much I'd leave her there a bit longer. Have you looked for other fry in the main tank? They are tiny and good at hiding. I had a hard time finding them in an almost bare QT tank!
She is ok... she keeps playing with the other black molly through the glass

I have looked and have not found anything... we barley saw the one we were able to save because we have black gravel. .. but I do have a fish that has eaten one of my guppies and many of my neon tetras 20170503_185329.jpg down in the bottom right^20170504_180158.jpg
And I am afraid he has eaten any of the other babies...

Also what does QT mean?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
That is an albino bristlenose pleco. Plecos will happily eat dead fish but they are not murders...well they will murder eggs but that's cause they are just sitting there waiting to be eaten. lol And BTW the lack of bristles on her nose would suggest it is female, not a guarantee but most likely.

QT means quarantine/tank.

The baby molly really looks a bit big for a newborn too but that molly looked very preggo in the 1st pics so *shrug*

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Dwarf gourami and a cory cat of some type. And again they (any fish really) will eat or pick at dead fish but neither of them are killers. If the gourami was big enough and the neons were babies MAYBE just maybe but that doesn't look like the case here. Why do you think you have a fish killer? Did they disappear? Usually that means they died and their body is just hidden somewhere.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store