Pretty duh question but...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ara

Catquarium
Feb 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hiah,

Well, first off, I am glad you are willing to take proper care of these little guys. :) The kits make me rather sad for the poor frogs..

I recommend against freeze-dried blood worms... many sites say these are actually not good for African Dwarf Frogs as they can actually cause intenstinal blockage in these little guys. I recommend fozen bloodworms or live brine shrimp. . I have 4 ADF, and then are fed entirely on frozen blooworms, a few every day or every other day - and they are all quite healthy, 2 of them are a year & a half old so far & thriving.

Another reason for frozen over freezedried is that they do not have great eye sight or hunting skills.. the vibrant colour of the frozen bloodworms is easier for them to notice..

I would say should be fed every day or every second day, not twice a week. I imagine the kit's statement that they only need a pellet 2/week is the way they keep their promise that the frogs will not outgrow the too-small tank - because they are kept malnourished and cannot grow to proper size. They will get to be about twice their current size in proper conditions. They also do like to move about so I would say a 5-gallon is smallest tank they should be kept in..

Also, while ADF are fine in a community tank (mine are), I also suggest against putting them with goldies, I think they may just get eaten or nibbled on.. also.. they should be kept in warmer water than goldies ussually are (76-78 ish)..

I wish you luck with them, these are adorable little pets ^_^ Good on your for saving them and working on a better home!

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
IMO, the freeze dried would be fine. If intestinal blockage is a concern, soak them a couple minutes before feeding.

StarieNite

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
The freeze dried is just until I can get back to the LFS. I didn't get anything I needed from the LFS as I needed the tank and didn't the worms to thaw. I just took my sons tweezers from his microscope and held them in front and they attacked it.

I always soak it, habit with the goldies.

The snail is happy, I took a potted sword plant out of the goldies and put with the frogs and the snail went to town on the algae on the glass. Frogs either zipping around or kinda coasting. Right now one is hiding in the plant.

The 1st pic is the frog my dd (age 5) named Sammy
The 2nd is the frog my ds (age 7) named Rex
Last is the snail we named Sheldon

DSC01287.JPG DSC01286.JPG DSC01267.JPG

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
If they are under a year then you will want to feed them at least once a day, twice if you want to. if they are adults you can feed them every other day, but make sure they are getting enough when you feed them. I usually use the same rule as fish (whatever they can consume in a few minutes.). I give my aquatic frog bloodworms or crickets every few days but I give him pellets every day. Just like Biohazard said, you dont have to have gravel, you can go bare bottom or you can put in whatever gravel you want. I live in a pretty warm state so I dont have to use a heater and my tank stays between 75 and 80 degrees and my frog seems to do fine. Any colder than 70 and they seem to get really inactive and lose their appetite.

StarieNite

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
Would a sponge filter be a good choice I don't like the one that came with the tank.
Or would the powerhead needed for the filter be too much for the frogs?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store