Pretty FW Gobies?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I have to second the peacock goby. I have a female (picture here, 4th and 6th pics) in my 20 long community, and she is awesome! Very pretty, gets along with everyone, and lots of personality.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Looks like Stiphodon atropurpureus.

Desert Gobies can also be quite attractive, especially dominant males.

Gudgeons are closely related to gobies, but they lack the fused pelvic fins.

jamesstill84

Curiosity salted the snail!
Jan 2, 2009
Winchester, Kentucky
Can anyone tell me where you can purchase Stiphodons? Can they be purchased here in the states?

jamesstill84

Curiosity salted the snail!
Jan 2, 2009
Winchester, Kentucky
Blenny's remind me of Goby's.

Zebra blenny, Omobranchus zebra

steffish

AC Members
Apr 18, 2006
I would love to keep (US) native darters! Some are really stunning looking. But I understand they want cool/cold water. How do I keep that without the BIG bucks for a chiller?

Squeakfish

Fight the current!
Jan 9, 2008
SoCal
...don't get a heater?
Seriously though, where do you live?
If you keep them in a large enough tank, you don't really need to worry about a heater or a chiller. Coldwater species can often adapt to slightly warmer conditions (i.e, my freakin' white clouds) and as long as the temperature is consistent, they should be fine.

ALSO: does anyone know of a site where you can find fish species native to each state, or hopefully, native to a certain part of a state? I found these REALLY AWESOME little goby-like fish in a large puddle that was leftover from flooding. It was in Riverside, IL. There were also little crayfish in there too... I've beed dying to find out what kind of fish it was!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store