Pro Caught Stuffing Bass with Lead Weights During Tourney

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I just think there's something very wrong about this type of "professional" fishing in general. Perhaps eradicating Largemouth Bass from areas where they're not native to.

Last edited by a moderator:

MotionInSilver

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
Not cool at all.

Wonder about the fate of all of the bass that was still alive then released with those things in their bodies... how many fish went thru this stuff for nothing.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Obviously completely oblivious to what these tourney's do to help preserve the fish industry through education, sponsorship, research, and conducting local talks. They have a higher impact on cleaning up the waterways than almost any single entity out there.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
The two previous posters are obviously oblivious to the massive ecological damage done by the Largemouth Bass due to its being stocked into areas it's not native to. The fact that the stocking has been done by "official" agencies, and the fact that the stocking began so long ago that nobody alive today can remember what our ecosystems were like before the invasion seems to justify it in some peoples' eyes. Their eyes are closed of course.

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
I go on a "Bunny Blast" each January when I am back in Wisconsin. It is a one day rabbit hunt where you form teams and spend eight hrs out hunting then come back to the club-house for the weigh in.
On several occasion competitors have been caught stuffing lead weights in "various" rabbit orifices and even injecting them with water. So now all rabits have to be skinned and gutted before the weigh in...it's a sad day....
Maybe the Fishing sport can adopt such a program for itself.
Then fish then caught can then be filleted and donated to local homeless shelters.

Obviously completely oblivious to what these tourney's do to help preserve the fish industry through education, sponsorship, research, and conducting local talks. They have a higher impact on cleaning up the waterways than almost any single entity out there.
The two previous posters are obviously oblivious to the massive ecological damage done by the Largemouth Bass due to its being stocked into areas it's not native to. The fact that the stocking has been done by "official" agencies, and the fact that the stocking began so long ago that nobody alive today can remember what our ecosystems were like before the invasion seems to justify it in some peoples' eyes. Their eyes are closed of course.
Education is key to understanding, I would bet that even most ppl on the forum even know what our eco system looked like on this continent 500 years ago. I can openly and honest say I do not. But I can do the best I can with where I find myself today and do the best with what I have and learn to make it better. Reversal may net be an option and in all likelihood is not unless everyone want to leave the continent.

Just my $0.02

And I don’t even like fishin’

Best wishes,
Wes

Ninja Pigs Rock

stop in the name of the law
Sep 16, 2010
very odd

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Please folks..let's keep the name calling out of it...period. Thanks.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I think the most glaring omission is the fact that people feel the need to cheat. Why isn't it ok to participate without winning? Why must we "win" to feel good? I had participated in many fishing tournaments until I learned of the cheating by officials and contestants. Until that started to be the norm, fish tourney's were a great source of camaraderie and education.

llamabob

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
www.myspace.com
My post wasn't in reference to your views on the ecosystem, it was in reference to the term you used to describe those who participate.

I'm not denying that they may have caused damage to certain areas, but overall I don't see or hear anything about them decimating native species of fish or plants, but then again here around the great lakes, fishing is a multi billion dollar industry spearheaded by bass fishing. Fact is they are native to many waterways in North America and I hardly see why some fisherman cheating calls for their eradication.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
What some bozo(does that term offend you too much?) chooses to stuff down the throat or up someplace else on a fish doesn't call for anything. Their current existence on the east coast of the US is what calls for their eradication. Their current existence in Mexico, where they are directly responsible for the vast majority of recent extinctions in the family Goodeidae calls for their eradication. A few examples: Skiffia francesae, Zoogeniticus tequila, Characodon garmani, Allotoca goslinei.Several of these fish still survive in aquaria. There are others, and many that have been brought to the brink of extinction because of Largemouth Bass introduction. You should educate yourself on the subject. My main point is that govt agencies need to stop supporting some invasives such as Bass, Rainbow Trout (not native east of the Mississippi), Brown Trout (native to Europe) while persecuting others. Since you seem to think that stocking non-native fish is ok I bet you can't wait for the Asian Carp you'll be seeing in the Lakes within a few years!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store