problem need answer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bitbot

AC Members
Nov 10, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Comet goldfish look very small when you first buy them at only an inch or two long. But they grow very fast and will reach 12, 14.. even 18 inches long in a very short time.
Looking for information on 18in goldfish, I found a reliable source that suggests there is only one recorded in the world.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/kent/7352909.stm

It also implies that the second largest recorded goldfish, Goldie (great name!) took 15 years to reach this size.

fysh3r

AC Members
Feb 23, 2009
wow thank for your information guys maybe i should consider a larger tank but 12x20gallon is about 240 gallon wow:eek: a bit off my budget hahaz but that size is 1 filter enough?

thank a lot guys i'll be lost without your advice

fysh3r

AC Members
Feb 23, 2009
biggest goldfish wow kinda nice if i have one like that appreciate the link you gave

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Looking for information on 18in goldfish, I found a reliable source that suggests there is only one recorded in the world.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/kent/7352909.stm

It also implies that the second largest recorded goldfish, Goldie (great name!) took 15 years to reach this size.
Well.. I don't actually give out numbers without having some source for them. There's no point exaggerating or pulling figures out of thin air. While doing some research on my own about the lifespan of ranchu goldfish, I found a well documented article that summarizes goldfish types, sizes, and lifespans. Of course, this guy's figures and categories were disputed, like ours often are. But if you read through to the second page, his information was well researched, he cited his sources, and ran all the numbers past the Bristol Aquarists' Society before publishing them. (They also granted him permission to use their goldfish photos in his article.)

I have no idea what the BBC thinks is normal for these fish... Their news story was very misleading -- in my opinion. This fish Goldie is 15 years old. Okay, well the average lifespan for a comet is 20 years or even longer. So even Goldie has many more years ahead of her (him?). We're also talking two different points, I referred to a full "potential" size if cared for under proper conditions, and the BBC is reporting some fish's "documented" size. Not actually the same thing. Goldie's owner also states in the interview segment (video) she doesn't know how the fish got that big on what sounds like a fairly meager diet. I'd say even Goldie hasn't reached it's actual potential size either. Not being fed flake food, I'm sure. Then, look at that BBC page and you'll also find this quote by a some resident expert in Britain who shrugs off the whole size thing as no big deal:

But **** Mills, secretary of the Federation of British Aquatic Societies (FBAS), said Goldie's size was "not that unusual".
Maybe Goldie has a really good press agent? lol :goldfish:

Umm.. looks like our auto-naughty-word-censor doesn't like the guy's name. Let's just call him "Richard" then. lmao.

With all that said, I'm still okay with stating 18 inch potential size if the comet is properly cared for.

Here's an extraction from that article. It's a great summary, I think... and real interesting. Think my 18-inch figure was high? Look at the two lines I've highlighted in red here under Commons and Comets...

TYPES OF GOLDFISH

There are several types of goldfish available to the fish keeper, all have been bred from the Gibel carp Carassius auratus gibelio

The Common

Description
Slender in body shape with a short sleek tail fin.
comments
The common is an extremely hardy fish and has the potential to reach 24 inches/61cm.
The average life span is 30 years; however the oldest know goldfish was Tish who lived to the ripe old age of 42 (Guinness book of records).
32-90 degrees F/ zero-32 degrees C

The Comet

Description
Slender in body shape with a long single tail fin.
comments
Again a very hardy fish that has the potential to reach 22 inches/56cm.
The average life span is 20 years.

The Shubunkin

Description
Slender in body like the comets and commons, but should show in colour the violet, red, orange and yellow and with spots of black (calico colours). Also these colours should run into the fins too.
comments
The are two types of Shubunkin available, The Bristol and the London. The one pictured is the Bristol.
Yet another hardy fish that has the potential to reach 12 inches/ 30.5cm.
The average lifespan is 25 years.

Fancy goldfish (Fancies)

Fantails

Description
Egg shape body with long doubled or short tail fins.
comments
They are somewhat hardy fish and have the potential to reach 14 inches/ 35.5cm
The average life span is 12 years.
Note; This was the starting point for all the fancy goldfish.

Moores

Description
A velvety black coloured fish with telescope eyes and an egg shaped body.
comments
They are somewhat hardy fish and have the potential to reach 10 inches/ 25.4cm
The average life span is 25 years.
32-82 degrees F/ zero-28 degrees C
True moores are not available in any other colours.

Pearlscales

Description
Egg shaped goldfish but normally their mid region is much larger than most of the other egg shaped goldfish. The scales have a pearl raised appearance.
comments
They are not a hardy fish and have the potential to reach 10 inches/ 25.4cm
32-82 degrees F/ zero-28 degrees C
Available in many colours.

The Oranda

Description
Egg shaped body with head growth (wen).
comments
The wen growth should be well developed. Fin length should be long and flowing.
Available in many colours.
They are fairly hardy fish and have the potential to reach 10 inches/ 25.4cm
74 -78 degrees F/ 23-26 degrees C

The Ryukin

Description
Close looking to the fantail goldfish, but they have a hump back to them that starts just after the head of the goldfish.
comments
They are fairly hardy fish and have the potential to reach 10 inches /25.4cm

The Telescope
Description
Egg shaped goldfish with telescope eyes.
comments
They are somewhat hardy fish and have the potential to reach 8 inches/ 20cm
70-78 degrees F/ 21-26 degrees C

There are many different kinds of telescoped goldfish; they should have long flowing fins. They also come in many colours and different sized eyes.
Not to be confused with the Bubble eye.

The Pom-pon

Description
Egg shaped fish either with or without fins. The Pom-pon you see is the nostrils in excessive development. Some fish have it very lightly and others have very big ones.
comments

The Demekin

Description
A cross between a Ryukin and a Telescope. They have a high arched back with telescoped eyes.
comments
The average life span is 20 years.
70-74 degrees F/ 21-23 degrees C

The Veiltail

Description
Long flowing fins that droops off the body. The fins look like a veil of a bride head dress. Body is an egged shaped and the colour of the fish comes in many colours.
comments
The average life span is 16 years.
70-78 degrees F/ 21-26 degrees C

The Eggfish

Description
Egg shaped goldfish, but this fish has long flowing fins. some people call them Phoenix Eggfish. There is no dorsal fin on this fish.
comments
They are not a hardy fish and have the potential to reach 10 inches/ 25.4cm
A very rare fish to find.

The Lionhead

Description
Egg shaped goldfish, but its back is pretty much in a straight line with head growth on it. No dorsal fin on this fish.
comments
The average life span is 15 years.

The Ranchu

Description
Egg shaped goldfish, but its back is curved then you will see a tail tuck of 90 degrees with head or with out growth on it. No dorsal fin on this fish.
comments
They are a hardy fish and have the potential to reach 8 inches/ 20cm
The average life span is 15 years.

The Celestial

Description
Egg shaped goldfish, but its eyes are pointing up words to the sky. No dorsal fin on this fish
comments
The average life span is 7 years.
78-80 degrees F/ 26-27 degrees C
The eyes start out normal and move as the fish matures. Rather delicate and sensitive to the cold.

The Bubble eye

Description
Egg shaped fish like the celestial with large, fluid-filled sacks under the eyes. These fish require special tanks with no sharp objects. No dorsal fin on this fish
comments
They are somewhat hardy fish and have the potential to reach 6inches/ 15.2cm
The average life span is 10 years.
These bubbles are delicate and are easily damaged. They will repair themselves in time. Care should be given to tank decorations and other fish to prevent damage.
Source: FishForums.net
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=96537&st=0

bitbot

AC Members
Nov 10, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I have no idea what the BBC thinks is normal for these fish... Their news story was very misleading -- in my opinion. This fish Goldie is 15 years old. Okay, well the average lifespan for a comet is 20 years or even longer.
Really?

So even Goldie has many more years ahead of her (him?).
Well, maybe five

We're also talking two different points, I referred to a full "potential" size if cared for under proper conditions, and the BBC is reporting some fish's "documented" size. Not actually the same thing. Goldie's owner also states in the interview segment (video) she doesn't know how the fish got that big on what sounds like a fairly meager diet. I'd say even Goldie hasn't reached it's actual potential size either. Not being fed flake food, I'm sure. Then, look at that BBC page and you'll also find this quote by a some resident expert in Britain who shrugs off the whole size thing as no big deal...
Granted, an odd thing of 'Mr Mills' to say.
But what does your source mean by 'potential'?

If there is not a single goldfish anywhere in the world larger than about 18 inches, what does he mean when he says that a goldfish has the potential to reach 61cm?

There are many dedicated and resourceful breeders in the world; don't you think one of them, somehwere, would have a goldfish that had reached its 'potential'?

...his information was well researched, he cited his sources, and ran all the numbers past the Bristol Aquarists' Society before publishing them. (They also granted him permission to use their goldfish photos in his article.)
I couldn't find the sources.
And I'm still skeptical about these 'potential' sizes, but the article was interesting.

My underlying point is that it is extraordinary for a goldfish to reach 45cm (18 inches) or more, and the fact that it doesn't is not necessarily due to inadequate care; and I think it is of limited relevance to the question of stocking levels.

Anyway, that's my two cents'.

nahrie

AC Members
Feb 16, 2009
Canby, OR
Real Name
Julie
Goldfish do grow very large, but to put things in perspective a little, I believe they take some years to reach full size..
Depends on the fish, and what you mean by "some years". Calliope was a cute midget 2 inches a mere 2 years ago. Now she's close to 8. Maybe she's an oddball though. This is just my experience.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Mine have grown that fast too.. it's amazing.

bitbot asked me a lot of questions about my previous post.. took me a while to answer all that, so here it is.

Granted, an odd thing of 'Mr Mills' to say.
But what does your source mean by 'potential'?
Hi bitbot. I don't know the author so I'll not speculate what his use of the word means to him. That would be pointless. But I will explain what I meant by "potential" and tell you why I think it's a valid expectation to have. (See below for that part.) As for the article, you'd asked me for a source where someone (other than me) suggested that comets have the potential to grow 18 inches or more in length, given the right conditions - so I gave you one which I felt had been well researched by someone who also seemed reasonably credible. This was why I had saved that article in the first place. But this write-up isn't the only place where people talk about comets (and/or commons, wakins, shubunkins) having the potential to grow that long. So, I'll give you more examples of this (with all the links so you can locate the sources).

BTW, the first one came from Flaringshutter's post in "Full grown goldfish size.." That's a reference thread in our Temperate/Cold Water Forum. (Her statement is found in the second post of that thread.) Also.. some of these references came from discussions or exchanges which also discuss tank size requirements or a comet's lifespan. I've included those, as well, because it's relevant to the question. Obviously, a fish's potential length is a factor determined in large part by the care given/space provided and how long the fish lives. (Also note where people are using the words "average" or "potential" -- I'll get to the distinction between those terms too, later in this post.)
<< From Flaringshutter >> "Common, American/Japanese shubunkin and comet goldfish will all reach an adult size of between 14 and 18 inches, depending on aquarium conditions and diet. Commons will be fatter than comets and shubunkins. Bristol (English) shubunkins grow to 12-14 inches."

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133948

"Slender in body shape and have long single tail fin. They are very hardy fish and will grow on an average of 12-14" long."

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/ftypes.html

"Size and Life Span: Pond Comets will grow to 12" and bigger. They have a live span of over 20 years, and some have lived to be over 70 years old."

http://www.****************/catalog_pages/goldfish_and_koi/comet_pond.htm

"Actually, comet goldfishes grow very long tails -- thus the comet name. No one pays too much attention to this nicety anymore. Tails seem to grow longer on indoor specimens -- often as long as their bodies."

"Those little two-inch feeder comets could live for up to 10 years and attain a foot in length (plus fins). When you see huge goldfishes cruising the local golf course, you know where they came from. They outgrew someone’s fish bowl or aquarium. They rarely attain their full size potential when kept in tanks."

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Live Food, Goldfish.htm

<< Note: I'll add this to say.... the reason comets rarely attain their size potential when kept in tanks is because people usually keep them in aquariums that are too small, they feed them an improper diet, and/or they overcrowd them with too many other fish. >>

"The common goldfish - The one you have seen at the pet shop, 50 crammed into a 5 gallon tank. They are a slender fish with a short sleek tail fin. They are extreamly hardy and have the potential of reaching 24"/61cm in size. Average life span of 30 years but one has lived for 42 years."

"The commet goldfish - slender body shape with a singel tail fin, much longer tail that of the common goldfish. Thay are very hardy fish, that can reach 22"/56cm in length. Average lifespan of 20 years."

http://www.petclubuk.com/fot/fish/types-of-goldfish/95

"The environment the Common Goldfish is kept in is a determining factor on whether your pet grows to its full potential size or is somewhat smaller. If kept in a spacious pond they can reach over 12 inches (30+ cm), with some hobbyist reporting their Common Goldfish reaching up to a whopping 18" (45+ cm)!"

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/goldfish/CommonGoldfish.php

Wakin Goldfish has a more fantail shaped caudal fin, but the fin is not very long. This goldfish can grow very large, and the longest measured Wakin Goldfisih was 18 inches long.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/goldfish/wakin.php

If there is not a single goldfish anywhere in the world larger than about 18 inches, what does he mean when he says that a goldfish has the potential to reach 61cm?
This makes sense if you note the difference between the actual size of a 20 year old comet (today) compared to the potential size a juvenile comet that's 2 inches long will have over the next 20 years. Let's look at how changing some of the wording makes a real big difference. For this, I'm going to use my own numbers now for illustrative purpose.

Average length - I would say that most comets average somewhere between 12-14 inches long. This would be the usual size range for a standard fish at a mature/adult age, given adequate food and fairly decent conditions. This is an average now.. a median point between the shortest and longest actual fish lengths for most comets that people might normally find in fish tanks and in ponds. Those that are given better food and better living conditions will reach the longer lengths and those that are given less ideal conditions... won't. (Genetics and overall health/longetivity would obviously also factor into this.)

Actual length - Apparently, the longest documented goldfish seems to be 18.7 inches. Okay, but we've also seen examples (above) where comets have already grown to 18 inches or so. That doesn't seem to be unusual for comets. While comets at that length don't break the existing world record, they still come in real close to the same size.

Potential length - I expect the potential length for a two-inch comet that someone buys today will exceed the average length (of 12-14 inches) and possibly even the current world record length (of 18.7 inches) if that fish is given the right conditions over the course of its entire lifespan; i.e., as in nutritious food, good care, clean water, appropriate tank mates, proper environment, and so on.

Here's why. That "world's longest fish" on record right now was hatched some 15-20 years ago. Look back to what we collectively believed "good" conditions were for a developing fish back then vs. what we've learned about their care/requirements over the last two decades. In the past, most people believed 10 gallons of water per fish was enough for comets. Now, we typically recommend 20 gallons or more. Over the years, we've found out a few things about comets and about better methods of fishkeeping in general. We know that they generally get bigger in pond environments because they are given more room. And that fish that are kept indoors in aquariums typically develop longer fins (which applies to the tail's length). So it makes sense to give comets the water volume they need to fully grow and develop when we keep them in an aquarium. As a result, we'll get full grown comets with longer tail development. Breeders keep improving the genetic bloodlines of the high quality stock they use in their breeding programs. While the "premium" fish they produce usually go to other breeders, collectors, or exhibitors... the many thousands that weren't culled (sick/deformed/substandard) are the ones we find in regular pet stores or feeder tanks. While these may not be "show quality" fish (although many still are)... they also benefit physically and genetically from the selective breeding programs in place where they were hatched. Many breeders are cultivating fish specifically to further develop certain physical characteristics, such as the shape or length of the tail fin. Newer, more beneficial, and highly nutritious food products have been formulated over the years that are commonly available to fishkeepers everywhere now through commercial sources. These products were't available many years ago because they didn't exist then. Given so many advances and improvements that exist today within the hobby PLUS the access we have to better education, knowledge, expertise in fishkeeping overall... these factors are all going to give us healthier, longer living, more hardy, larger, and.. yes... longer fish than it did so many years ago.

There are many dedicated and resourceful breeders in the world; don't you think one of them, somehwere, would have a goldfish that had reached its 'potential'?
Well, that gets back to a matter of time again, bitbot. It will be another 15-20 years or so before their current generation of hatchlings/juveniles will reach an ultimate mature length (today's potential) at the end of those fishes' full lifespan. What I think is... the potential today is higher now than it used to be many years ago, for many of the reasons I listed above. I also wouldn't imagine that breeders would have all those old, mature breeding fish still at the latter years of their lives. They get rid of older fish that aren't breeding anymore if for no other reason than to make room for new breeding stock. Breeders don't hold on to all the same individual fish forever... certainly not beyond their "prime" breeding years. I also doubt that an intensively (over)bred fish kept in that environment for so many years would ever reach its full lifespan anyway. Constant breeding over a long time would likely shorten the fish's longevity. So, no... I would not expect breeder stock fish to ever reach their true potential, neither in length nor longevity. But their offspring might, depending on where they end up and the conditions in which they are kept.

I couldn't find the sources.
And I'm still skeptical about these 'potential' sizes, but the article was interesting.
I think it's an interesting question too. And yes, I can give several reasons or cite other sources to explain .. but people are going to come to their own conclusions based on their own judgements and experiences.

My underlying point is that it is extraordinary for a goldfish to reach 45cm (18 inches) or more, and the fact that it doesn't is not necessarily due to inadequate care; and I think it is of limited relevance to the question of stocking levels.
On this, it seems we disagree completely. I believe adequate care and stocking levels are both huge factors when comes to the fish's health, well being, growth, and longevity. All of which combined are what determines whether a particular fish will reach it's potential length or not. Even with good genetics and high quality foods... a stunted, unhealthy, short-lived, or overcrowded fish isn't going to fare as well over the long term.

Talking about stocking levels, again... Here's a question/answer site where tank requirements for a comet were discussed. It's not even a fish site, but the advice given was pretty good. The great dane puppy reference made me laugh, but it also illustrates the point about tank size/stocking levels.
Question:

"I have a comet gold fish can i put two in the same tank i thank its preety big tank for both of them? P.S its very little Fish. i really think its a 1 gallon."

Answers:

"kid, i can't stress this enough. goldfish WILL NOT stay small. especially not comets. the only way they will stay small is if you kill them before they are adults (which is tragically common)."

"trying to keep a goldfish in a single gallon is like trying to keep a great dane puppy in a purse 24/7 and saying "it's okay if he dies before he's an adult i don't want a big dog anyway".

"and contrary to poplar belief goldfish are not stupid. studies show their memories last many years. so please don't justify it saying "it's just a fish". care for it properly or find it a new home."

"your comet goldfish has the potential to grow over 12"-14" long with proper care, they're pond fish really, NOT tank fish. and 1 gallon is no way large enough for a single comet, it needs a minimum of 10-15 gallons until it's about 4"-5", then an upgrade to either a 40-60 gallon or a nice big pond in the spring. really with goldfish you want to buy a home that can accomodate their full adult size for their full life span (which should be over 20 years!). and over-filtered at that as goldfish are exceptionally messy fish. there is no such thing as a "small" or "dwarf" goldfish. only babies, stunted, sickly and dead."

"I have to agree with basically everyone else on here. It's a common misconception that small goldfish can be kept in small bowls, but nothing could be further from the truth. Goldfish have the potential to get very large and live a very long time. The minimum, bare minimum, I've heard for fancy breeds is a 20 gallon tank for one fish. However, comets can get very, very large. I would suggest about 40 gallons for an adult comet. Goldfish are notorious for the amount of waste, particularly ammonia levels, they create. This means that small containers quickly become toxic for them. They need more water and a healthy amount of filtration and oxygenation. When goldfish are placed in smaller containers, the body produces chemicals that stunt its growth. Though it appears the fish is simply staying small, it's actually damaging the fish's health and shortening its lifespan."

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080205114329AAAdqG7

bitbot

AC Members
Nov 10, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Thanks for that post Kashta, you make some excellent points, and I see now what you mean by potential - it makes sense.

The only other thing I would like to stress is that I certainly don't condone poor care or overcrowding of goldfish.

And I don't have a Great Dane in my purse.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store