Products gone to waste?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
In another post I mentioned problems i'm currently facing with ammonia. I used to use tetra safestart plus to help with stablishing bio media but this time there was only 1 bottle available, I bought it and when I open it well...

P_20231113_211932.jpg

P_20231113_211914.jpg

not the usual pink color i've seen previously. I threw that away and found a Seachem Stability bottle I had and when I open it well...

P_20231115_080935.jpg

P_20231115_080949.jpg

I managed to buy a new bottle, I know people here discourage the use of stability but right now is the only thing I can get to help my tank.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Stability contains only spores. The nitrifying bacteria we need do not form spores. So .....

Please have a read here and you will wind up having a much better understanding of nitrifying bacteria, how they can last in a bottle for some time, but there is a limit. It is not a long read, it is plain simple English easy to understand and it is written by the PhD microbiologist who identified the strains of bacteria actually at work in our tanks. I have read all three of his research papers aas well as the patent for the bacteria that handles nitrite.

That patent is shared by him and Marineland. Marineland was axquired by a conglomerate for their pet division. They also own Tetra. This is why Dr. Tim's One and Only and Tetras SafeStart and SafeStart+ are the only bottled bacteria products which contain Nitrospira which are the ones that can do two things. The first is they turn nitrite to nitrate. However, scientistshave since discovered that Nitrospira are also able to process ammonia straight to nitrate as well.
https://www.drtimsaquatics.com/blog/nitrifying-bacteria-arent-human/

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
I have a fluval bug bites and about 3 weeks ago I went to travel and returned a week later. I've a variety of food so I feed my fish different stuff and this bug bites were "small bites" and often my fish would only go for the larger flakes so a lot of uneaten flakes end up at the bottom thus increasing my ramshorn population, as everyone already knows. So this I usually fed this food on rare occasions. This weekend I saw the bottle and thought it would be a good time to feed them that since I have not done it in a while. I open the bottle and find this:

P_20240203_195210.jpg
P_20240203_195204.jpg

P_20240203_195254.jpg

Not sure what happened to this bottle but before traveling it was almost full and now found it almost empty, powdered and with a rotten smell. Threw it away because I was even disgusted by it, I usually go to a creek and feed wild fish with food I want to change (not expired or anything bad just usually when the bottle is almost empty) for a new bottle but this went straight to the thrash can.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store