Project Great Wall o' Tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looking good!

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
I agree with the prior question...similar tanks side by side tend to complement each other. You have satisfied yourself with the weight problem but what about the access problem? If you put the heavier tanks on the bottom and the smaller on the top you will have more room to reach in - usually the smaller tanks are not as deep (front to back) so you pick up some extra room.

Fishman07

I AM THE FISH WHISPERER
Mar 12, 2007
Southwest, GA
Man, you better hope you never move...that would SUCK!!!! haha!!! but that is really a good idea!! i hope it works out the way you want!!!!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Well I know I will be moving in the future, but in the next few years we're planning on putting an addition on the house. The false wall came about because I needed to be able to run wiring and plumbing across the finished side of the basement. We'll probably stay here a few more years after the addition is built. When I move out, I just have to take down the sheetrock, remove the tanks and put new sheetrock up over the wall and leave it as-is. When we eventually do move in the future, it will most likely be into a house we design and build, so it will most likely have a fishroom to move all the tanks into.

Got the end of the room painted with a coat of primer tonight, next coat will be some sort of mildew-resistant bathroom paint. No pics, just picture the room with a patchy coat of white paint and you're there.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Progress!!!

Well I finally got some time and money to devote to this today. Went out and got all the stuff for the electrical and room lighting.

Wall painted, lights mounted on ceiling

Lights - 2x dual 8' T12 strip lights

Running the wiring for the switch

Wiring for the 3 GFCI outlets on the ceiling

Outlets and lights done

Switch done

Lights off

Lights on

And, gotta give credit where credit is due - daddy's little helper

The plan going forward was originally to run the plumbing over before building the stands. However, i think I'm going to go ahead and start framing the stands out first because thats going to more or less determine how I route the plumbing, and I don't want to run myself into a corner by getting too far ahead. And that way, I can start moving tanks and leave them on their current filtration while building the sump system and dealing with the plumbing.

jpd1821

AC Members
Feb 11, 2005
Michigan
Very cool, I wish I could do something like that.

flapper12

AC Members
Jun 28, 2007
Temple, Texas
Awesome sploke

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store