Propagation of anemones from the ocean

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
Thinking of doing a bit of propagation, i live in australia near the beach and instead of taking a whole anemone i was thinking of taking a small sample/clipping and placing it in my tank.

I am Newb at this and have no idea if it will work.

So please enlighten me.
thanks

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
What about if i can get a licence from fisheries of Western Australia.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
RTR said:
You are aware that anemones are animals, right? An anemone is a single large polyp which cannot provide a viable "cutting".
Interestingly, you can frag anemones. Eric Borneman and Anthony Calfo gave a fantastic workshop at this year's MACNA. They showed quite nicely how to cut a carpet anemone right down the middle. Under the right conditions they heal rapidly.

That being said, I would not recommend that one do it to an anemone you're moving from the wild. The stress of being cut up, along with the change in conditions, would probably be too much for the anemone to handle.

mysis

AC Members
Oct 4, 2005
OK, so you think it would be better to just, take some small anemones from the ocean floor, cause i got a spot marked on my gps that has 1 rather large magnificent anemone and a few small ones close by to it, so you think it would be wiser to maybe take small anemones instead of fragging one??

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
The likelihood of a piece of anemone collected in the wild surviving is slim, and the part you left would probably also die. Taking a smaller anemone would be a better idea, assuming it was legal and you can do so without injuring it.

I would like to emphasize that anemones are not easy to keep, and that there is serious concern about the impact of collecting them. Unless you are absolutely certain of how to care for the animal, I would strongly suggest you not take it.

Billabong_fish

AC Members
Aug 14, 2006
i know what your talking about. i live in australia too and i see those anenomes alot. the red ones are warratah anenomes. i also see green, brown and some white with coloured specks. i have succesfully kept them in my old aqurium. i would just put a dead prawn/shrimp in them and it would close up and eat it. you should be able to easly breed them because they just literalt spit out the babies. if you cant find a small rock with one on it, just scrape it carfully of the rock and then it should re-attach itself to one of your rocks in your aquarium.

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
Nov 29, 2002
ST.Louis Area
Visit site
CITIES permits are required by International Law to collect wild specimens.
You will need those first.

Secondly,
You can frag both captive propagated anemones and wild ones very easily.
Use a very sharp razor and make sure you quarter the anemone swiftly into 4 pieces cutting directly thru the mouth.

Place these in a low flow area with moderate light(2wpg) and let heal for 3-4 days before feeding small amounts of food. They will be fully functional anemones in 2 weeks under proper aquarium conditions.

Good Luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store