Protein skimmer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
I am at opposites with Niko on this.. I would think that a skimmer would be more beneficial in a fish only and less with live rock, as you don't have the diversity of organisms in fish only. However, with starters out, I must recommend a skimmer, as it creates a much needed buffer for the unforeseen. And we all want to reduce the over all damage if anything goes wrong, that is where over filtration can help. But Niko knows where I am coming from ; ). Also, with that size of water volume, you have a very high inbuilt stability...... Oh, I still haven't done that water change.

rsw686

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia
You would be better spending your money on live rock than on a skimmer. The skimmer for that size tank will be at least $450 and thats for a non recirculating skimmer. You could buy 100 pounds of rock for that price.

NikkO

AC Members
Feb 4, 2004
Santa Clarita,Ca
Visit site
I agree with noskimmer. A skimmer would really be essential to a FO system. A mechanical filter may be able to remove a lot of the dirt, but unless you clean it out often it will lead to higher nitrates. Will there be a DSB in the tank? You could get an ASM G-4+ for $415, although I only see them as decent skimmers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store