Pseudotropheus saulosi in a 40 gallon??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jorge97301

AC Members
Oct 10, 2009
Salem,Oregon
alright sweet i didnt want to start my tank off to a bad start, i'm looking at some actions on ebay for rocks, i havent decided if i want to go with those almost orange color holey rocks, or with black slate rock and make my own holes or maybe a mix :huh: what do you think would look best? i think i might go with the texas holey rocks since they would help keep the hardness stable......
-Jorge

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
IMHO, the tank will look best with contrast between rocks and substrate: light colored rocks with dark colored substrate or vice versa.

Jorge97301

AC Members
Oct 10, 2009
Salem,Oregon
thats a good point! thanks! there are so many aspects for this tank and i want to get everything perfect! i plan out every little detail before hand, lol my gf hates it she says its not spontaneous, lol any how next question what are the best products in your opinion for raising the Carbonate hardness of my water, i just tested my tap and it was about 0.5 dH. Thanks! sorry for all the questions!!
-Jorge

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
If possible, don't use those salt products. It's better to buffer the pH and hardness with a substrate such as crushed coral, aragonite sand or the more expensive Eco-complete African cichlid sand from CaribSea brand. Or you can use some rocks as buffers as for example: Texas Holey Rock, Coral based reef rock or lava rock. If you put a mesh bag full of crushed coral inside the filter, that may be enough to buffer the tank's water.

Jorge97301

AC Members
Oct 10, 2009
Salem,Oregon
okay thanks! i'm starting the assembly tomorrow, i have crushed coral so i'll just have to keep testing while my tank is cycling, about how long will it take for the hardness to go up?? i have a glass half full of crushed coral and the other half with tap water that i'm going to leave over night to see what effect it has on it =) thanks you guys are great!:bowing:
idk if i'll be able to sleep tonight i might go start on it now............ lol then again i do need to sleep..... i'll put up pics once i get the aqua-scapping going.
Goodnight! and thanks agian!
-Jorge

Jorge97301

AC Members
Oct 10, 2009
Salem,Oregon
PICS!

alright i got my tank up and running!!! :woot:
Here are some pics!! what do you guys think??

Front shot
Tank1.JPG

Close up
tank2.JPG

Close up
tank3.JPG

Side Shot
tank4.JPG

-Jorge

Tank1.JPG tank2.JPG tank3.JPG tank4.JPG

Jorge97301

AC Members
Oct 10, 2009
Salem,Oregon
yeah i'm going to get more soon..... prob next paycheck, i kinda broke the bank on this one everything just kept adding up! oh well its worth it!
Thanks
-Jorge

Jorge97301

AC Members
Oct 10, 2009
Salem,Oregon
what would be the best/easiest way of staking the slate up? i had a bit of trouble trying to get it higher, is there a glue that would work? maybe frag glue? i've never tired it but its the only underwater glue i could think of, or is it more of a puzzle where i need to find rocks that balance and stay put with each other??
THANKS!
-Jorge

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store