Pulsing Xenia

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

a_fool_for_fish

AC Members
Mar 22, 2004
Southern California
Visit site
my friend has a 35 gallon with 2 24" flourecent lights that are both 48 watts and one is a daylight and the other one is a actinic but neways hes not a member so am asking for him but he wants to know if he could get some pulsing xenia

Any info will be greatly appriciated

Last edited by a moderator:

RothChyld

AC Members
Feb 16, 2003
Tampa, FL
www.cboss.com
That should be fine providing your water quality etc. is okay. Xenia also like iodine so if you are not doing frequent water changes you may want to trace some. Keep an eye on them. If they look droopy that is my sign that they need iodine although some posts on here will argue not to dose what you cannot measure. Xenia also do not like temperature spike + / - 3° over a quick period of time. The nice thing is if they die off they generally regrow within about a month.

Mike

SDRotary

AC Members
Mar 28, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
IME if PH drops more than say .2 they will let you know. Just do weekly water changes and they should propegate all over. Mine have done excellent in a 10g with 65w 50/50 pc but they dont like it at all if dh or ph drops at all. Make sure to put some rubble in there so they move onto that and you can sell the frags ;) .

M-pire

Foosballer
Dec 9, 2003
Lexington, Kentucky
Here is my xenia. I bought it about two months ago and it was smaller than the piece on the right. This is how much it has grown and spread in just two months!!!

rayjay

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
www.angelfire.com
That's funny, I don't add iodine or anything else other than Kalk to my tanks and my xenia multiply like crazy. Good source of income selling the new pieces.
I have pieces growing and spreading even in a 20g tank with two 20 watt lamps over it.

rayjay

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
www.angelfire.com
I try to do weekly water changes in order to lower the build up of trace elements that comes from feeding the tanks. It doesn't usually happen that way, depending on what else needs doing on the weekends, but at least I try.
One tank with my sailfin (the pig) gets it just about every week and some of the others probably work out to 2 out of 3 weeks with a couple only getting about 1 out of 3.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store