Pump from the basement to main tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mikelush78

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Rochester
Hello guys,
I have a new project I would like to get under way and thought I would throw it by you guys first.

I want to pump my newly made saltwater from my mixing tank to my main tank upstairs so I don’t have to carry buckets of water up to it any more. (Worst part of water changes for me)

Not sure on the size of the pump I am going to need. Also it will be saltwater so that eliminates some kinds of pumps.

Here are the Dimensions of where I need to pump the water:
- 5ft UP
- 36ft Horizontally
- 8ft up

So not sure how to calculate this seeing I have to go that far. Also it does not have to have the greatest pressure either... Just cannot have it a little trickle that will take 6 hours to finish the job either....

Any thoughts or ideas? Also my 55 gallon mixing tank is not reef ready so not sure if I can use an external pump... not sure how the priming it would work for an external pump....

Hope you guys have some ideas...
Thanks
- Mike

mikelush78

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Rochester
True but could I use an external pump? If so how do you get it primed if its not a reef ready tank?

Also what size pump do you think I need??? I guess that is my biggest question...

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
You have 13' of vertical head height, plus you add an additional foot or so for every 5' of vertical run, so thats an additional 7' of head height. You should also add in a foot or so of head height for every 90* elbow in the system. All in all I'd guess you have close to 20-25' of head height...so look at different pump ratings, and pick one that gives you the flow you want at that head height.

As far as external, it sounds like you have some sort of mixing container. As long as the pump is below the water level of the container and plumbed into the bottom, you should be fine. You are probably not going to find a submersible pump made to pump to that head height unless you start looking at sump pumps or something at the hardware store.

mikelush78

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Rochester
that is my problem I am using a 55 gallon aquarium that is not pmlumed at the bottom of the tank... so not sure how I could use an external pump....

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
drill the tank, or get a different container. The plastic brute trash cans are popular for mixing saltwater, and plastic, so easy to cut a hole for a bulkhead fitting.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I don't think there's a single one, but if you're good at physics I'm sure its possible to get the back pressure on a given system, taking into account vertical head and static friction from total plumbing length and bends/turns.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store