Pump Needed For Water Changes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

twodaend

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
Alsip, IL
I just did my first water change on my 20L, about 4 gallons and I noticed I had a hard time doing so. Siphoning out water into a 5 gallon bucket and then bringing a bucket back with premixed saltwater, I quickly noticed that while pouring, I made quite a bit of a mess.

I was wondering if I could use a pump with tubing to siphon out the water and then use the same pump to put water back into the tank from the premixed 5 gallon bucket. If so, which pump could I use? The top lip of my tank is about 4ft off the floor.

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
I just did a 30g water change on my tank and I used one of my MJ 1200s to pump the new water into the tank. I bought a length of 1/2" ID tubing and slipped it over the end of the MJ. I took the intake screen off also and was able to get the intake about 1/8"-1/4" form the bottom. Worked GREAT. Much easier than dipping. And faster:D.
Robbie

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I use a MJ 900 to pump water back into our tank. Because it's only a MJ 900 and I'm pumping to the top of a 90g (5'+ off the floor), the bucket I'm pumping water from doesn't sit directly on the floor -- I put it on top of another bucket.

twodaend

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
Alsip, IL
Ok, I'll have to try that. I use a MJ1200 for mixing, but never though I could use it for a pump as well. I'll stop by the store tonight to get some tubing to see how that works.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
This is what I use in conjunction with a python. I use the python to suction the water out of my sump (remove food etc) that wasn't taken up by my protien skimmer and then use the maxi jet from my mixing container back into the sump. I can do a 20% water change in like 10 minutes. And the best part is the carpet doesn't even get wet.. :)

axepilot

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Ok, I'll have to try that. I use a MJ1200 for mixing, but never though I could use it for a pump as well. I'll stop by the store tonight to get some tubing to see how that works.

It works great - no muss, no fuss. I mix my water in the laundry room and pump it over to the tank with the MJ.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store