Python pros and cons

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Astarell

AC Members
Jan 28, 2011
West Coast
Real Name
Sara
I can't tell you how much I dread water change day for my main tank, the smaller ones don't bother me but on my 126 gallon tank, doing a 30% water change is ~38 gallons. Right now I have to get on a step stool, reach my arm into the tank to get the siphon into the gravel, and empty it out into a 5 gallon bucket and carry it out the back deck. That's 8 buckets just to pull water out folks! Then another 10 to fill it back up ('cause there's been some evaporation so you gotta add more than you take out) which means filling the bucket from the hose and carrying it in, lifting it up above the tank which sits almost 6' off the floor, and siphoning the water out of the bucket so it doesn't create too strong a current and shock my fishies or mess up the gravel. It takes a good portion of my day (probably 2+ hours) and it's the only time I don't enjoy my fish tank.

So today I finally broke down and ordered a Python from Amazon. I've been wanting one for years, but I could never justify the $100 price tag it came with back in the day. Then I discovered they have a 25 foot version for only $40 and with tax returns just around the corner I could finally indulge. I also picked up the 2' gravel vac extension for tall tanks so I don't have to get my arm wet anymore, yay! But my question to you folks is thus: Does it raise your water bill when you use the python? Because it's pumping water both to pull out from the tank and refill it. Do you find it worth the price tag to buy it? How long does it take? How strong is the suction, will it pull up gravel or just the debris out of the gravel? Any tips, tricks, or cautionary tales? Share your experiences, I'm hungry for knowledge!

Reactions: Wild West

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I must have bought mine 6+ years ago and I can't imagine not using it! Just about every piece of hard plastic has cracked and needed to be replaced in that time though, no biggie I DIY'd new pieces from home depot. I do not use the "suction" feature with running water, I use gravity to run the water out the door or window. The hose gets dirty but I use my micro magnet cleaner once in awhile to clean it up. The hose has stayed nice and flexible all this time. Since I use gravity my suction is quite strong and I find it more than adequate for vacuuming. If I had to do over again I would have built my own DIY water changer but if I were not a DIY'er I'd recommend anyone and everyone who owns a fish tank to buy a water changing system like the python! You're gonna love it!

Sorry for all the free floating statements, I'm sleepy. :)

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
A 126gal tank and doing WC with a 5gal bucket, no way. I do 30-50% WC, and there is no way I can carry a 5gal bucket that many times. I have a 50gal Brute on wheels. I fill the Brute a few day (sometimes a week) before I do WC. In the brute I drop a PH and a heater and add Prime. On the day of the WC, I use the PH to pump water from my tank into my yard or sink. I then use the PH to pump water from the brute into my tank.
I am scared about using a Python. I am worried that my faucet water may change temps during my WC and wipe out or make my tank sick.

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
I did 5 gallon buckets on my 75 gallon for years, i got a python back in december, and I will never go back to doing without it. It is so easy and really makes it effortless to do water changes, your fish will appreciate it and so will you

Astarell

AC Members
Jan 28, 2011
West Coast
Real Name
Sara
Thanks for the stories guys! Makes me feel even better about my decision, there's no way I could keep up the bucket thing, especially as I get older, lol. And I am NOT giving up my tanks so I'm glad there is a solution. :)

Tanker- I hadn't thought about that before, but I figure there's enough volume of water (plus two 300w heaters) that even if it does change temp at the sink, it shouldn't effect the total temp that much. And I can always stop filling halfway through if it does, wait for the temp to normalize where it should be, and continue filling later. I'd still be putting in a whole lot less physical effort than the buckets!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have a Python with 50ft hose. At my old house I had 9 tanks all over the house. I'd use the kitchen sink to get the siphon started & throw the end into the tub to gravity drain all the tanks. Then attach to kitchen tap again to fill using a tank's worth of Prime dechlor. The hard part was remembering to pay attention to water levels in bigger tanks, I had a few close calls on overfilling. The hose is also quite heavy to wind up, yours won't be as bad. But that, with fewer tanks & husband help now, I rarely bother. But I don't often do all at once & pretend lifting a gallon in each hand to refill is good exercise. My largest tank is 75g but have an empty 120g so I'm sure I'll be "pythoning" again, I need to figure where to drain it.

As for vacuuming, it depends on if you use gravity, on your water pressure if using the sink attachment to drain & on tank level too. It was slow on lower tanks going uphill to the sink. You can vac just like with a gravel vac to bucket, lightly on sand (you don't want it in your plumbing), deeper on gravel.

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
I am worried that my faucet water may change temps during my WC and wipe out or make my tank sick.
This has always been my concern, too.

Wild West

AC Members
Mar 6, 2015
I can't tell you how much I dread water change day for my main tank, the smaller ones don't bother me but on my 126 gallon tank, doing a 30% water change is ~38 gallons. Right now I have to get on a step stool, reach my arm into the tank to get the siphon into the gravel, and empty it out into a 5 gallon bucket and carry it out the back deck. That's 8 buckets just to pull water out folks! Then another 10 to fill it back up ('cause there's been some evaporation so you gotta add more than you take out) which means filling the bucket from the hose and carrying it in, lifting it up above the tank which sits almost 6' off the floor, and siphoning the water out of the bucket so it doesn't create too strong a current and shock my fishies or mess up the gravel. It takes a good portion of my day (probably 2+ hours) and it's the only time I don't enjoy my fish tank.

So today I finally broke down and ordered a Python from Amazon. I've been wanting one for years, but I could never justify the $100 price tag it came with back in the day. Then I discovered they have a 25 foot version for only $40 and with tax returns just around the corner I could finally indulge. I also picked up the 2' gravel vac extension for tall tanks so I don't have to get my arm wet anymore, yay! But my question to you folks is thus: Does it raise your water bill when you use the python? Because it's pumping water both to pull out from the tank and refill it. Do you find it worth the price tag to buy it? How long does it take? How strong is the suction, will it pull up gravel or just the debris out of the gravel? Any tips, tricks, or cautionary tales? Share your experiences, I'm hungry for knowledge!
Hi, I used a python/knockoff one/home made one for years with great success using gravity suction only, only used the sink attachment for filling, never used the sink attachment for cleaning, simply drained it outside to my plants or into the tub when its too cold to run the hose outside:). No need to use the faucet for suction unless tanks are below the ground (basement) IMHO.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Sara:
You must be one strong woman. There is no way I can lug a 5gal bucket around, let alone lift it to fill my tanks. I change about 80gals a week, less when I am lazy. There is no way I can do this with a bucket.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
True that, tanker! I do no more than a bit over halfway each bucket, 3 or 4 gallons maybe a bit for my husband or if I'm not paying attention. I can't imagine lifting for refills, my back had a twinge of sympathy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store