Python & Sandy Bottom

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Steve B

AC Members
Mar 9, 2003
Bucks County, PA
Visit site
I was thinking about changing from medium size gravel to sand for my substrate. However I use a python to vacuum the gravel and change the water. Does anybody have experience using a python on a sandy bottom?

What are the problems (if any) that I should be aware of?

Thanks

Decz

AC Members
Aug 15, 2002
BC, Canada
I have sand and use a python... i stir up the sand (required to avoid bacterial contamination) and i vacuum the top layer with my python, like i would with gravel. the sand will fill the vacuum end of the python, but most of it will fall back down.. you will however manage to suck a few tablespoons of sand out of the tank (depending on the size/quantity).... in my bigger tanks (90+ gallons), the amount of sand that makes it out is larger, but i just vacuum it right out the door into my garden.. .. you can vacuum it into a bucket and save what's there to put back into the tank.. but IMO it's not woryth it, and i've only had to "top up" or replace the sand once in the last 2 years, and that was only for my 10 gallon tank.. i've never added to any of the other ones.....

hth...

decz :)

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
I made a Long cleaning tube like 2' long the sand NEVER reaches the top made it from a cheap 4' flo bulb storage/disposal tube.will post a pic latter.
Decz you should try it:)

superjohnny

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Sol
Maybe just turn down the water pressure at the faucet so it doesn'thave as much vacuum suction. You can do this at the faucet or at the valve on the Python.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store