QT and raising question???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
Hi All

I already have 6 rather large clown loaches in a 180g tank that is lightly stocked. I want to add another 3. My question is how long can these loaches stay in a tank 24"x12"x20" the new loaches will probably only be about 1" when I get them. I was thinking of trying to grow them out a couple of inches before adding them to the 180g so they don't feel so dwarfed beside their larger counterparts. Just to add this tank will be getting WC's every second day of at least 30% probably more.

Cheers

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I just added some small clowns to my "herd". I kept the 1.5 inch newbies in a 20g long for 8-10 weeks & treated with medicated deworming flakes (& maybe antibiotic flake since I had them). They've grown 1/2+ inches & are now with my 4-5 inch clowns, all happy together. I think an 4-8 week QT would be ample.

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
Would it hurt to keep them in QT for about 4 months as my smallest loach in me 180G is 5 1/2". Or would they stress as there are only three of them in the QT tank.

mountain_webste

AC Members
May 2, 2007
B-more
In my experience, I've never had any issues with larger clowns picking on smaller ones.

I think you are fine keeping the new ones in QT for a few months if you want to be safe.

Tank sounds nice, pics?

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Very nice tank, love your loaches:)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'd say it'd probably be ok, too long though & they may become stunted. I feed baby fish like you'll be getting 3-4 times a day to help them grow fast & change water every 2-3 days. Not very much bother in a small tank & clean water will help them grow faster too. Just check their water params & if you can't keep it up you could move them to the big tank then.

I'm not sure what dewormers you may be able to get in Oz but it could help them grow, loaches are prone to have nematodes. Even a light parasite load can slow them down.

Pretty tank, I've seen Norman before, nice!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store