quarantine ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Skippy

Grand Poobah of Fun
Aug 22, 2000
Dallas, TX
web.of.slacking.net
A Quarentine tank is any tank where

a) You put a sick fish to isolate it from other in it's regular tank. (Also reffered to as a "hospital tank")

b) You put new fish for a period before introduction to your main tank to make sure they aren't carrying any parasite or nasty disease in with them.

For me, I have a number of tanks in my back room. I keep a 24 gallon cycled and put new fish in it. This usually laste for about 2 or 3 weeks until I have a good feeling that they are good and healthy.

This takes some of the impulsiveness out of getting new livestock.. but i'd rather than than an unexpected case of dropsy show up.

I have had cases (like in my related post) where I put fish in a quarentine tank and they like it so much they spawn.. then it becomes a grow out tank and the parents get moved out faster.

But that's another story.

bek

AC Members

i'm a fairly new tank owner, dont know a thing about diseases or anything else for that matter.

how do i know if there is something wrong with my new fish or the ones i already have?

i have just been putting my new fish straight in with the others, is this a mistake?

:confused:

Skippy

Grand Poobah of Fun
Aug 22, 2000
Dallas, TX
web.of.slacking.net
You're probably OK.

A quarantine system is for addicts like me who have a herd of expensive fish who are overly paranoid.

If you are beginning in the hobby and take care when buying you should be OK. My general guidelines are to look in the tanks to make sure there aren't any sick, dying, or dead fish in the tanks with them at the store. Can you go when they're feeding? If so, are the fish you're looking at eating n a healthy manner?

There are other things to look for and i'm sure i'm missing something that one of the big brain folk around here will catch me on.

An example for me. I got some peacock gudgeons to add to my 100 gallon planted tank which already has a large group of Cardinal tetras and some other fish in it. I would rather keep those gudgeons in a holding tank for a week or two while I make sure one doesnt develop dropsy, ich, or something else.

As for telling the signs of disease, I believe this site has some documentation on it about diseases and diagnosing what might be wrong with a given fish.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Skippy covered most of it...Reminds me of the Redneck line...If you throw a party and wreck all your furniture and are only out $20....

Quarantining is done to prevent the introduction of disease into your main tank. Many diseases and parasites aren't visible until they reach an advanced stage--ie, 2 days to 2 weeks into infection. Keeping the fish in separate tanks prevents spreading, and allows you to treat the illness without worrying about treating healthy fish, stressing the bio-filter, or staining your main tank.

A quarantine tank also allows you to observe the fish for a while without the other fish affecting behavior, and to make sure the new fish are eating properly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store