Quarantining? what do you do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Thank you!!!

That's an interesting method for QTing that I hadn't heard before. We have several extra 15g tanks... I'll have to give that a try the next time we buy a fish.
It's a little more work than the standard methods, but it's also shorter. A week to get your fish in the display rather than waiting weeks.

The only time it didn't work for me was when I tried to save a lil powder brown tang. He was REALLY bad, though, and didn't even make it into the second tank.

Poor lil fella.

Dustin83

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Orange County, CA
My QT has no substrate and I keep the spare sponge in my main system, like a few of the other folks. I tend to use copper more than most people, sometimes just as a caution. I know this isn't common practice, but it works for me. Of course; I'd never do this with copper-sensitive fish, such as many dwarf angels. I always use Sea-Chem cupramine, their test kit, and remove it with Sea-Chem cuprisorb. If you keep the cuprisorb running, it will remove any copper that leaches...very l;ittle the way I set up. Cuprisorb can also be recharged several times. I'm not pushing this as a cure-all and copper does need to be monitored closely, but I haven't had to treat a fish for ich, or any other parasite in many years.
Mine's somewhat similar as I have once used my QT tank as hospital tank to battle ich before. Although I have not added any copper for awhile, I'm pretty sure there's still fair amount of copper trace left in that tank. If you choose to use copper, however, you HAVE to make sure that whatever touched that tank doesn't touch your display tank IF you have inverts in the display tank. This created somewhat of an annoying situation for me. I have to make sure I have two sets of everything, such as tubes, water jugs, fish nets, and etc. I can't move a filter media back and forth between the QT tank and the main tank. So instead of breaking it down between usage, I just keep it running with no fish in it. Just a quick thought.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store