Question about butterfly fish and overflow box.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Diz

AC Members
Mar 26, 2003
Visit site
is it ok??

I have a wet/dry filter and i have two butterfly fish that just sit against the box like they are stuck, but they get off it when time to feed them. but any other time they are on the box. Is it safe??

Thanks,
Diz

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
i'm not sure if it is safe or not.

the one at the lfs does the same thing. my theory is its the only place it thinks its safe.. if the lights are pretty bright and there are no floating plants (real or fake), it probably figures its safe next to the wall. to go out in the open is a risk it doesnt want to take unless its hungry. do you watch the tank when the lights go out? do they cruise then?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Sounds like they want something to hide under/around. If you are talking about the african butterfly fish, they usually lurk at the surface under floating wood/leaves, waiting for food to drift by. Lacking this, they'll hide against anything they can find. They prefer a calm surface and floating objects, but in a pinch the ripples from water movement will be used instead.

While it's not harmful, it is stressful. I would add some floating plants or wood. They will be more comfortable, and display better behavior.

Diz

AC Members
Mar 26, 2003
Visit site
ok I will add some floating plants, and andruboz when the lights go out they are all over the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store