Question about gravel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jade.Crusader

AC Members
Jul 4, 2013
NE Oregon
Real Name
Green Shiva
It just struck me that setting up this 170 means I am going to need at least 170# of gravel. Getting it by 20# bags from PetCo sets me at $150. Are there cheaper alternatives, that are also safe for aquariums?? I am being picky too... I want black rocks only.

Reactions: Wild West

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Jade- I've used pea gravel and marble chips from Home Depot or Lowes. They were like 50-60lb bags for $3. Problem is, neither is black! Still worth a shot to check out the garden centers at the big box hardware stores around you. I believe I've gotten gravel cheaper than $1/lb at Petco. Deals can be had when they run sales on it. Still not exactly cheap though.

Greggz

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
Novi, MI
It just struck me that setting up this 170 means I am going to need at least 170# of gravel. Getting it by 20# bags from PetCo sets me at $150. Are there cheaper alternatives, that are also safe for aquariums?? I am being picky too... I want black rocks only.
Another vote for Black Diamond. I just changed over my tank from Pea gravel to Black Diamond, and I am very happy.

I purchased at a local Tractor Supply Co. About $8.50 for 50 lbs. Cheap, looks great, and very easy to plant in. FYI I put 5 bags in my 120 gallon.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
The only problem I have with the black diamond is it shows any little bit of debris, and its not very easy to siphon without sucking up a bunch of sand. A real pain when my angel fish decide to rip up the moss. Otherwise, it looks great and is cheap. Great for live plants, and if you are not going with live plants, I would guess the issue of siphoning plant debris would not come up.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
You are on the right track if money is a concern. Stay away from anything packaged for aquarium enthusiasts, and look for landscaping, sandblasting or pool materials- I wish I could remember some of the brand names I used when setting up my tanks. I'm sorry Im not being very hepful. If you have a local tractor supply or landscape depot its a good place to start.

And fine sand type substrate will show EVERY little bit of detritus, the more uniform the color the more obvious it will be. Larger substrate means the gunk will sink a little into the gaps making it less obvious.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Pool Filter sand is cheap too, but I do like the Black Blasting sand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store