Question about new aquarium setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sup27606

AC Members
Jan 27, 2009
I currently have a 35 gallon aquarium. I am planning to upgrade to a 75 gallon. I have a few questions.

1. I went to petsmart. They had reasonable prices on aquariums and stands, but they won't deliver. I need the aquarium and stand to be delivered since I don't have help. Is there a place that you recommend that sells quality stands (petsmart stands seemed cheap) and deliver? I am in LA area.

2. I estimate the aquarium + stand would cost around $300/350 (based on Petsmart prices, I understand better stands would cost more). How much extra cost am I looking at to set up, which would include substrate, canister filter, light, heater, dual glass hood?

3. How much work is involved in maintenance of such a big tank? Am I shooting myself in the foot? I have not yet decided whether to opt for high light plants with ferts, CO2 etc. Assuming I am using only low light plants like anubias, crypts etc, is that a lot of maintenance?

Your inputs will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

LesbianChap

Don't ask, I'll tell.
Jan 2, 2006
Florida
I've been pricing out what I'm going to do for a 75 I'll be setting up soon. I got the 75 tank on sale and picked it up myself, so I can't really help you on that part.

For a light, I'm planning on doing a DIY LED fixture like Joey shows in this video:
When I priced that out, it'd cost me about $45-50 for one waterproof 5630 5m Daylight (all white) LED light strip, another $25 if I wanted a second 5m RGBW LED strip. I was thinking about updating to a WIFI controller instead of the IR ones, and that'd add another $45 to the build (controller and connectors so I'm not hard-wiring everything, and can unplug and plug it in easily). I'm not sure how well this will work long-term with the heavily planted environment I'm looking into, but for low-tech plants (anubias, crypts, etc) it should be fine.

For a filter, you're looking at probably around $100-120 on the cheap end. I was looking at dual AquaClear 70s or Fluval C4's (~$100). I was also looking at a Sun Sun 704B Canister filter from ebay (finding it for $95 on ebay right now, but media isn't included. I would probably use some cheap floss I have lying around and lava rock for bio-media). In both cases, you're over-filtering by a good margin, but I tend to try to have more than I need.

For a heater, I was going with the Eheim Jager 200 or 250W (I could do the 200W easily with the house temp and weather where I live). Big Al's is selling them for about $22-25 right now.

Substrate...you could go cheap, and get a couple bags of Pool Filter Sand (or pea gravel from Home Depot) for ~$30-40, or you could get the really good planted substrate like Fluval Stratum or Eco Complete and be spending upwards of $120-150. You may be able to reduce that a bit if you find a local supplier.

All-glass hood you're probably looking at around $40 shipped from DrFosterSmith.

If you want high-tech plants (CO2 and such), you're going to want to go pressurized. The difference in upstart cost will probably be made back in the first year of running it. You'll need a CO2 cylinder (~$70 to 80 for a 10lb unless you find a better deal on craigslist), Regulator ($50-75), you'll probably need to get the tank filled that you source locally (~$20), Bubble counter/drop checker ($15-20), and some sort of diffuser (anywhere from $10 or 15 for a low end in-line reactor or ceramic to like $75 for the high-end in-line reactor). With a good diffuser, from what I've read, that 10lb tank should last 6-9 months per $20 fill, whereas you'll be spending that much in chemicals/supplies to keep a DIY one running every month.

For a stand, I'm building my own...I was going to make one taller than you typically find in stores for a better standing viewing height, and it allows me to have both a drawer and cabinet space in it. If I didn't miss anything (parts) in my pricing, I could build it for about $250 as long as I can get access to the tools I need to cut everything (over $80 of that is the hardware for the drawers and hinges for the doors). Final look would be something like this:
75gal stand - framed.jpg
75gal stand - framed2.jpg

Reactions: sup27606

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I would look at independent mom & pop stores too, they might be able to deliver. The big boxes tend to have particle board stands, not long term safe, water will be spilled & they'll warp eventually. I have a cheap but not very attractive basic pine stand for my 75g, metal is even uglier but cheaper.

For filtration, I use a Fluval 404 & AC 70, I like 2 filters on most tanks. If you think you might try co2, canisters are what you want. I'm not wild about my Fluval (it was free), I've also used Renas, but sunsuns sound like maybe a good option too. You don't have to start with 2 but think hard about adding a second in time.

I have a 200w heater I don't use right now, it's old & I don't really think it's great. Eheim used to be the "good kind" but the newer 1's can have problems just like all heaters. What fish will you keep? You may not need 1 at all in LA, depending.

Substrate, hmm. I have eco in 2 tanks (expensive, I think I needed 6 bags/75g/2 inches) but pool sand in my 75 now. Pool sand or small inert gravel is "just ok" for plants, I don't care for the white sand look much (it doesn't stay white either) & I'm pretty lax with adding root tabs or dry ferts. I do have lots of "easy growing" plants but it's not as crypt happy as I'd like even after 5 years of "crud" build up in the sand.

I'm old school with lights, 2 x T-5s, LEDs are something I don't understand much, but prices have come down with better "plant friendly" color temps. With just low-medium light plants you may not want to spend a ton, too much light can have it's problems too.

Have you thought of looking Craig's list for used tank set ups? You're in a big market area, might be worth a look or 2. You might find a tank & stand for ~$200 or so (with lesser equipment you'll want to replace soon if not right away, so don't be willing to spend more than what just a tank & stand are worth...used & maybe delivery? you can always ask.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store