question new to cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Michigan - Indiana Border
Real Name
Russ
\\\\demasoni are both blue too. 55gal is not really big enough for more than 2 species of mbuna. I would go with the lab/dem mix, as said above. 6/7 labs and 12/15 dems. If your water perams are right without buffering, then try to get black substrate, it will really bring out the colours of this stunning combination. If you need to buffer your water, then use coral sand in your filter.
Yes, you are right. I was thinking of Johani.

beachcire

AC Members
Apr 24, 2010
Tampa, FL
You can never go wrong listening to Blue when it comes to african cichlids.....IMHO

Yellows with Demasoni would be a beautiful tank. I would also recommend using a black substrate and don't forget to filter three to four times your tank size.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Mainganos would be fine as well. I just prefer demasoni since they are smaller.

You can fit 3 species of mbuna in a 55 gallon easily as long as you avoid the rea;lly aggressive and sadly common ones. Ps acei, yellow labs, and rusties are a GREAT set up of color and variety.

Frogmanx82

AC Members
Dec 31, 2009
I think the suggestions have been pretty good other than otos and corys. That's just wrong. You have a number of catfish and loaches to consider. I had pictus cats in with malawi cichlids for many years. They are very comfortable at high pH and can definitely handle the aggression. I really like kubotai loaches, which are similar to yoyos and striata. Any of those would work with malawis. A bristlenose plec wouldn't be bad after the tank ages a bit.

As for africans, Peacocks are an option with yellow labs. Acei, rusty, and maingano are pretty standard options, can't go wrong with those. In a 55 I'd probably stick to no more than 4 species of african. I have labeotropheus in with my yellow labs, they have a distinct look that mixes well.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Keep in mind that Labs are mbuna. As such they mix best with similar mbunas. This is not saying that other Africans won't work, as a rule you want to stay with other Malawi Mbuna for the best success.

Otos and cories would be lunch in a hurry, they wouldn't last a day. A Bristlenose might work if it is as large as the other fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store