Question on MTS Snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

only6foot6

AC Members
I have many small (1/16" - 1/8") MTS in my tank. I have had them for 6 - 8 months now. I never see any larger snails. Is it possible that my Yo-Yo loaches are only eating the larger snails but not the smaller ones?

Also, you hear users talking about their tanks being overrun by MTS's. What is considered too many snails? 100, 500, 1000+??? I know some users talk about their substrate moving from MTS's. How many snails does that take!!!! I have never seen my substrate move. Sounds scary!!!

TipStylez

XCELMotorsports.com
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle WA
They move the gravel alight, but MTS dont really get overpopulated like ramhorns or pond snails.

I throw them in all my tanks, their good at shifting sand, and i dont know why but i only see them at night. During the day, they burry them selfs in the sand.

Even if i threw 20 large ones in, i still never find them.

TheMightyQueenPixie

Best Invention EVER!
Apr 16, 2002
Barrie, ON. Canada
www.baycitybettas.com
I have a TON of MTS and rather enjoy them. Their population will keep constant with the food supply less food=less of a population. They are great little guys and dont harm your plants. There has to be atleast 1000 of them in my planted tank and they do a wonderful job keeping things clean and stirred. I dont think it is possible to have too many since they dont harm anything. Those pesky ramshorns on the otherhand...:devil:

only6foot6

AC Members
I guess it all up to personal preference. I don't mind the snails just would like to see my population go down a little bit. I have really started to watch how much food I feed and have been doing weekly substrate cleanings to eliminate the excess food.

Does anyone know if Yo Yo Loaches only eat only the larger MTS's. I find it odd that I have so many snails but not one bigger then 1/8".

Aquaken

AC Members
Aug 31, 2004
I had a Botia modesta and it kept MTS in check but couldn't eradicate them. I never saw any big ones in that tank either.

I dropped 20 in my 10g that has a sand substrate and in 5 or 6 minutes they were down in the sand, I could only see the white tip of one shell sticking out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store