Question on upgrading from 55 gallon to 75 gallon tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

meili.harrison

Love my plecos!
I like pool filter sand, which is also cheap. I paid $5.99 for 50 lb bag at a local pool store. Here's how mine look like - http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158192

I heard that play sand is much lighter and harder to maintain as it gets your tank cloudy if disturbed. I use pool filter sand in a few of my tanks, and never had a problem. I regularly move decor & plants around with no issues at all. As with all substrate, make sure you wash it well at the beginning.

Good luck!

ina1032

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
How much sand do you think I ought to get for a 75g?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
actually pretty simple.. move the inhabitants from the 55 into buckets or even the 10 gal..use existing filter in 10(or buckets) use buckets or tubs..transfer media into these.. move 55 ..set up 75 move everything back into 75.. add water to top off...bingo..done.

ina1032

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
Just got done switching the tanks over....sadly 2 of my sharks didn't make it. Not sure WHAT happened, but I think maybe a Ph shock? It was sad, but at least I have 3 of my sharks left...sigh. I ended up getting a 50 lb. bag of pool sand, thinking I'd probably need more, but after I've got it in the tank, I don't think I need any more.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
actually pretty simple.. move the inhabitants from the 55 into buckets or even the 10 gal..use existing filter in 10(or buckets) use buckets or tubs..transfer media into these.. move 55 ..set up 75 move everything back into 75.. add water to top off...bingo..done.

yep...

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
So sorry for your loss!
Silly question, but did you remember to use a dechlorinator?
Don't beat yourself up, you really prepared well. Sometimes we never know what went wrong.
Enjoy that big beautiful new tank!

ina1032

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
Yeah, I use AquaSafe, but like I said, I don't think I waited long enough for the dechlorinator to do it's thing. Sadly, I lost two of my babies. Ironically though, one of those babies was my biggest fish. =(

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Your tank should be cycled instantly, because almost all of the bacteria are in the filter media and substrate.

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
As long as you added the Aquasafe before putting the fish in, you did it correctly. It instanty removes the chlorine. How are the other fish doing?

ina1032

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
Yeah I know the tank was cycled alright because of how much of the original water I had saved and that I was using the filter from the 55g. The other fish are doing fine. I thought for sure I'd lose a guppy or two, but no one has been acting weird, not even the sharks that were near death. I'm not sure WHY the 2 others died. I wish I could have caught them in time. =(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store