Question Re: Rosy Barb unknown deaths.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Marc999

AC Members
Jan 22, 2005
Hello folks,

I was hoping someone suggest some possibilities of why my 3 rosy barbs passed away:

Tank: 20 gallon long. In operation for ~ 9 months.
Temp. 81-82 F.
Filtration: Aqua clear 150 and Penguin Bio-wheel 125.

Maintenance Schedule:
-I change 25% of the water every 3rd day.
-50% water change on Sat. or Sun. including filter and gravel vacumming maintenance. Note: Filters cleansed with aquarium water in bucket. Water is treated with Ammo-lock prior to placing new water into aquarium. Algae on glass cleaned ~ once every 2 weeks.

Feeding Schedule:
-Wardley color enhancing flakes every other day.
-Wardley shrimp pellets every 2nd to 3rd day.
-Tetramin tablets every 2nd day (the corydoras favourite)
-Frozen brine shrimp OR Frozen bloodworms once every 2-3 weeks.

Ammonia: unknown.

Nitrites: unknown.

Nitrates: ~15 ppm (ppm...i believe that's the correct measurement, correct me if i'm wrong. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals product used).

***I apologize if the ammonia and nitrite readings are necessities to answering this question.***

Tank inhabitants:
8 rummy nose-tetras (2 species)
1 bolivian ram
1 peppered corydora catfish
2 juli corydora catfish
3 rosy barbs (deceased as of March 10th/2005). Survived for ~ 1.5 weeks.

Plants:
3 java ferns
1 anubias nana
Plant products used:
Seachem Excel every other day
Seachem Flourish once per week.
Seachem Iron rarely perhaps once a month.
Light duration: 20w fluorescent 11 hrs./day.

Quick Summary:
It was quite strange, when I purchased the rosy barbs, they did a magnificent job of cleaning up unwanted algae. On March 8-9th their appetite for flake food, pellets and even algae waefers appeared non-existent.
They were dead the morning of March 10th, all floating on the surface. Upon removal and inspection of the barbs, there were no visible signs of external fungus, bloating etc. Nor did I see them hovering near the surface gasping for oxygen, prior to their death.
The only thing I can think of is that the Bolivian ram was none too thrilled with the rosy barbs erractic movement and stressed them to the point of death. I do recall that the male Bolivian ram was not very excited to have them as roommates and chased them away from time to time....other than that I really don't know what caused their death.

Any hints?

Thanks very much,
Marc

illiswiller

Prevention - the best medicine!
Jan 11, 2005
Hi Marc,
Thats a bummer - sorry about that. I kept some roseys a couple of years ago....and had trouble with them at first b/c I didn't keep them in large enough numbers. I only started w/ 3 and one harrassed the other two to death......could be an option? They do seem sensitive to harrassment (although they are barbs) But odd that all three of yours died. Hope you figure it out.

PS I'm no expert but Blue (German) Rams (Microgeophagus ramirezi) are supposed to be more docile than Bolivian Rams (Microgeophagus altispinosus). If you keep a community tank - you might want to switch - or keep a pair to disperse hostility

Last edited:

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Are you treating the water with stuff to remove chlorine, etc.?? Also, a test kit for nitrites and amonia is pretty essential, they can be fatal to fish at high levels, some fish can be more sensitive than others, same with a change in ph, do you make sure it is as same as the tank when you do water changes?
Sorry about the fish :(

Marc999

AC Members
Jan 22, 2005
I appreciate the thoughts. I should purchase ammonia and nitrite kits as well, at least so I can exclude or include those results into the equation :)

Holly, yes I treat the water with a product called Ammo-lock which not only converts ammonia to a harmless form for further breakdown, but also removes chlorine and breaks the 'ol chloramine bond. So, yes the chlorine is removed.
I highly doubt the PH has any bearing on this issue considered the health of all the other fish, unless Rosy Barbs are particularly susceptible to PH changes....I really don't know. Considering I'm not interested in altering the PH of my local tap water, if these barbs are susceptible to PH changes, then perhaps I'll just stop buying rosy barbs.

In the meantime, I'll go out and buy ammonia and nitrite kits to go along with my nitrate readings for some good 'ol hard facts :)

thanks,
Marc
P.S. Any similar Rosy Barb personal stories would be greatly appreciated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store