Question regarding mutants, hybrids, and why people hate hybrids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
As a cichlid breeder, the main reason I don't bother with hybrids is that there are so many beautiful natural species available. And if you can't find certain species in your stores, many owners will order them for you, or there are always club auctions too. Continuous, selective in-breeding based solely on appearance or finnage, particularly like that practiced at various fish farms around the world, tends to decrease the hardiness of fish. And that goes for other animals, such as some dog breeds that have certain congenital problems bred into them. A lot of people say that "purists" that don't support hybrids are arrogant. I don't know....maybe it's the folks making the "frankenfish" that are arrogant thinking they can improve on nature. ;) To each their own...just keep them out of the streams, lakes and oceans!

Yoemen

In Boogeyman's closet
Nov 2, 2005
Galveston
well, the deal with problems in dogs, is ussually traced to keeping the line too pure. Pure bred collies suffer horribly from epelepsy. Lots of larger pure breeds suffer from hip displasia because of the insistance on maintaning the purity of the breed. This inbreeding is one of the reasons I was surpised about the dislike for hybrids. Purity is all well and good, but too much and.... Just look at our production forestry. We have lots of fast growing quick diameter increasing straight pines for lumber, problem is that blights and souther pine beetle tear through them like chain saws because they are all basically the same.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store