Questions about my betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
Which fish should I get? I need one in a bowl, like I said, I'm a beginner, I wont get tangled up in filters,heaters, stuff like that.
You could get a snail and maybe some really tolerant plants.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Also note that when someone says it's ok and backs it up by comparing a living rice patty ecosystem to a stale glass bowl, they are just ever so slightly misinformed

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
You could live in a closet with no plumbing. Doesn't mean it's going to be comfortable for you, or keep you healthy.

Bottom line, not wanting to get tangled up in heaters and filters and stuff is bad news for any fish you intend to keep. The "accepted" care for bettas is buy betta, put betta in bowl with water, feed occasionally, buy new betta within year. I've only had mine a few months, but he swims every inch of the 10 gallon tank (80 degrees) filtered by a Fluval C2, investigating every change in plants and arrangement of decor I make. I overfeed him, but he gets so excited when he sees me feeding the other fish that I can't help myself, by feeding him 2-4 pellets (the smallest by NLS, and they seem smaller than "betta" pellets, and occasionally frozen bloodworms or Omega One Flake) twice a day. I expect him to live a few years, barring any accidents.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
+1 to authmal for the closet reference and +1 for glabe for the rice paddy comparison :) Not to be rude, but if you wont take proper care of fish, you need to find a different hobby. Fish aren't disposable play things you buy on a whim. You wouldn't get a pet hamster, but not buy a wheel, toys, chew toys, hideout etc nor keep a dog in bathroom their whole life right? Same goes for fish. Like authmal said, bettas are very inquisitive, active fish-when properly cared for. You have a cold, bored, and probably sick betta crammed in a tiny area, sounds like a pretty miserable life to me. Ive had a male betta in a 55 before, he swam every inch of it, investigating any changes and racing to the front when I walked by in hopes of food. Either get a 5 gal tank, or return your fish please, and use the bowl for candy or a plant. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store